Demoing a New Lab Project at CEDIA – Tablo With Cable Card Support

Sorry @shira - We won’t be ready with this before the end of February. 

I would love to be able to buy a product like this. I’m not currently looking to drop cable (as my wife wouldn’t be happy about that and I like to watch some live sports), but I hate wasting $27/month on terrible cable boxes. As far as I can tell, the only alternatives are Tivo (which is very expensive) and building your own system with a spare laptop and Windows Media Center. I would love to buy a working system with a good interface.

EXACTLY. I'm on the wrong side of a big hill and Los Angeles and none of the 1/2 million people here can get ATSC even though we're WELL within distance of the towers. You can actually see the towers from the top of the hill.

There is a HUGE percent of Americans that are simply not able to get all or ANY ATSC signal.

Same can be said for broadband Internet but few believe it because they look around them, read the trade rags, marketing types and pollies, and well… 
I’ve some friends in the Rockies who can’t get OTA easily without some expenditures, and Internet is flaky. I wish the trade rags and marketing geniuses (GAG) would give us a break and tell the truth.
i guess you folks are why cable has flourished, other than those who grew up in cable homes and their parents never told them of options.

I’ve dropped cable because I wasn’t watching it much, and with the OTA channels available in Austin, plus Netflix Roku, and Tablo recordings I don’t miss cable.  In fact the local stations are BETTER watching them OTA,  If you do make the device, somehow have an option for channels OTA and cable.  I think you should leave the cablecard alone as most of us have cut the cord.

Sorry @shira - We won't be ready with this before the end of February. 

Past end of Feb; update ?

=)

Sorry Jeremy - the kernel update still has a few bugs we’re trying to work out. We’re getting closer but the final few issues are taking longer than anticipated to solve. 

What I would be interested in is a Roku like device and Tablo in one unit and able to record from both.  Cord cutters use both and I think I’m not the only one that would like something like this.  What do you think @TabloTV

@TabloTV will this only work with the HDHomeRun Prime or will another model be able to be used to give a Tablo unit access to more tuners?
What I would be interested in is a Roku like device and Tablo in one unit and able to record from both.  Cord cutters use both and I think I'm not the only one that would like something like this.

Are you not aware of PlayLater? It’s a Windows app for recording videos from the Web. There are similarities between the two, but technically Tablo and PlayLater are very different.

5. I’m not thrilled that the current versions of Tablo only come with USB 2.0. While 3.0 may be overkill for HD, what about UHD?

6. Tablo recommends WD Elements drives. But currently the largest drive of this sort I’ve been able to find is 1 TB. Cox’s whole-house DVR has 2 TB. It would be nice to be able to daisy-chain drives attached to the Tablo, to use larger drives, or to be confident that non-WD Elements drives of larger size would work OK. It would also be nice to be able to use network storage, for example a NAS drive.

[…]

9. The big question. I have to make some decisions by the end of February. What do people suggest I do? 
I expect Tablo would need to make multiple hardware changes to support recording in UHD. A lot of (external) media players (including Roku, Fire TV, Apple TV 3, and Chromecast) seem to max out at 1080/60p anyway. Have you seen this article on UHD from Forbes?

They’ve said that they intend to add support for using more than one hard drive at a time. However, you can still use a 2TB drive now. I use a Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB drive myself. You can see which drives have been reported as working or not working here: http://community.tablotv.com/discussion/108/tested-hard-drives/

Since we’re into March now, did you come to a decision? Did you consider getting a Tivo Roamio? It’s probably the easiest system to setup currently which meets your requirements.
Sorry Jeremy - the kernel update still has a few bugs we're trying to work out. We're getting closer but the final few issues are taking longer than anticipated to solve. 

Any idea which SD this will work with? The Extend is nice since it doesn’t have to be transcoded so it should be a better picture and “might” (hopefully) support 5.1 sound. The Prime however is THREE tuners (instead of two with Extend) AND supports Cable Card, but unfortunately has to be trasncoded. 

What I would be interested in is a Roku like device and Tablo in one unit and able to record from both.  Cord cutters use both and I think I'm not the only one that would like something like this.  What do you think @TabloTV

Not exactly what you want but the Nvidia Sheild Android TV announced this week will support 4k (UHD). There will be Netflix and Hulu+ apps, possibly Amazon Prime Video and Vudu. Tablo will have an nice looking Android TV app running running soon.

This could be the sweet spot. 4k Streamer and TV.

Currently I have Roku w/ Simple.Tv as well as a Roamio Pro HD.

I’ll likely drop both and get Nvidia A-TV and Tablo linked to SiliconDust when the A-TV app comes out and Tablo supports the SD Cable link. 

I’ve read Roku 4 will have 4k, but we need to wait for release to see.  Then how many people have the 4k TV. 

4k will likely require new chip in a new Taboo hw. If you want 4k resoulution… Don’t think the chips exist today.

4k will likely require new chip in a new Tablo hw. If you want 4k resoulution... Don't think the chips exist today.

Nobody is broadcasting 4K in North America anyways… 

Very true!

The 4k is there for Netflix mainly, as well as other streaming sites that eventually get to 4K.  

It’s going to be a while before I replace any of my HD sets with 4K TVs.  Until the TV manufactures set a standard so that any device can stream 4K content to any TV, there is a good chance of incompatibility.

I have trouble justifying 1080p honestly… though I suppose if you have 70" TV and you’re room is really tiny… it probably matters some. :slight_smile:

I mean, it’s not like a PC… motion video is hard to justify at ultra high resolutions.  And Star Wars was way better with a little fuzz (like normal vision) vs. ultra high (and obvious) cgi.  Just saying.

The 4k is there for Netflix mainly, as well as other streaming sites that eventually get to 4K.  

It's going to be a while before I replace any of my HD sets with 4K TVs.  Until the TV manufactures set a standard so that any device can stream 4K content to any TV, there is a good chance of incompatibility.

Exactly. 4k is currently only for streaming and mainly Netflix, M-Go, Amazon Video, & YouTube. Device depending.

I've read Roku 4 will have 4k, but we need to wait for release to see.  Then how many people have the 4k TV. 

I have several between home and work. But I tend to be a bit more bleeding edge.

But if CostCo is any indicator more than half of the 50"+ TV;s are 4k.
4k will likely require new chip in a new Tablo hw. If you want 4k resoulution... Don't think the chips exist today.

Nobody is broadcasting 4K in North America anyways… 

ATSC 3.0 will have 4k broadcast. But then it’s still in development and we don’t even have the upcoming ATSC 2.0 yet.