Cutting the cord: What kind of deals are you getting on Internet only packages? (old thread)

@cjcox thanks and no we don’t care about the changing channels. Tablo has assisted with that concern.

I ran a quick pricing comparison (on-line without talking to anyone) and Comcast (Internet and home phone) is more expensive than ATT UVerse even with Comcast’s discount for the first year. (let alone the second year). That and it is cheaper than what I currently have at $52/month. So…given the comments from you and all on this list, perhaps I will attempt to get ATT in here (again). 

Comcast recently doubled internet speeds in select markets at no extra charge.  I tested using Roku’s “Speedtest” channel and indeed the Mbps doubled after rebooting modem.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/11989/20140805/comcast-doubles-internet-speed-in-select-markets-how-about-your-state.htm

I pay $45 for 20/4 form Cincinnati Bell.  Not a whole lot of options in my area. 

U-verse Max Turbo (without TTL) is $66/mo. for 24/5.  However, speedtest.net wise, I often get about 27/5.

TimeWarner in Akron, OH:  $41.38/month for 15 down and 1 up.  I had to fight like crazy for that price and that speed too.  They have the region in a stranglehold. 

U-verse Max in OKC area for $58/month for 12/2. Service is good with never any slowdown as we have FTTP but from looking at a number of the prices mentioned above, I need to call in and do some sales work. I wish there was another option were I live but unless you want to use a cell tower I'm stuck.

Just dropped TV on Time Warner.  Now they are saying that I can’t take advantage of the “package deals” and they want to charge me $15 more a month for the same internet service.  Since they are pretty much the only high-performance option in my neighborhood, they’ve got me over a barrel.  

I complained loudly on their Facebook page and now have a case being escalated.  Wish me luck.

Unfortunately I think you need more than luck.  A monopoly is a monopoly.  Lucky for me I have both Comcast and Verizon in my neighborhood.  It is amazing what a little competition can do.   RCN is in alot of the surrounding towns.  If they rolled out to my neighborhood (which they wont) I’d be in an even better situation.

At this point it looks like Comcast 15/5 for $30/month for 1 year is going to be my best option.  Wish I could get it for 2 years but I have not seen any indication that it is an option.

-MM13

$15/month for Time Warner Internet only. It’s the only show in town besides Verizon which starts at 4-5 times more

Centurylink 40mbps for $30/month. I’m really happy with the speed and price.

I dropped TW cable package and kept their Internet for 15/month here in Seal Beach, CA.