Cord Cutting is Sending Me to the Poor House

An interesting odyssey. You could expand this into an essay and submit it to a journal for publication.

2 Likes

You only charged off 1 coke during this time??

2 Likes

I threw the Coke in there because I’d bought along with all the gear & accessories at Home Depot, to install Antop antenna on the roof. I’ve had a few since.

Didn’t you forget the tablo life time subscription and the sales tax?

I think it took over 4 years to reach your goal. I have multiple tablos but by passed some of your DVR systems. But I went with powerline and beefed up router - which is now old technology. And I don’t think replacing my 8 year old TV with a newer model should be counted.

1 Like

Hey wait! You forgot ota2GO for $2.99. I’m offended to be a rounding error :smiley: lol!!!

1 Like

Right. I forgot the Tablo Subscription costs and those of various streaming services I’ve picked up to augment my OTA offerings. Like you, I didn’t include my Toshiba Fire Edition TV, as it was a replacement for a bedroom system I’d had before cord-cutting. I did however, include the Sharp Roku TV, as it’s purchase was specifically spawned from the project of setting up an OTA system in a guest house (HD Homerun, Antop antenna install, and more).

There are probably a few other things I’ve neglected, but at least all the highlights are covered. Funny you mention powerline because I’ve been thinking about that and have begun some research into it.

Ouch! Just added and recomputed total. Good call, it’s one of the nicest pieces of software I own.

1 Like

lol!! Thanks for the add :smiley:

My powerline adapters are old now but still early AV1 standard. They have worked great and never given me any problems.

AV2 is the current standard and is much faster. Mine cross circuits and can maintain 190Mbps.

But if you have a grouping of toys in a single location you just run them into a switch and then into the powerline adapter. I have multiple tablos, hdhomerun, Rokus, etc all run into a switch-to-powerline.

They also have more expensive powerlines that support not only wired but also WiFI 802.11ac. Thus you also have an WiFi extender.

But during setup I would pick a plug close to a PC and wire the PC into powerline. It’s hard to determine if the powerline is working/setup using a headless device like tablo. Once setup you can move the powerline to any plug you like.

2 Likes

Can you be my OTA dad for Christmas. All I want for Christmas is an Antop for attic install!

2 Likes

Christmas is another thing that’s sending me to the poor house. Ironically, it’s OTA-associated gifts that I’ve been buying up since summer.

Perhaps a Patreon account would help? Or a GoFundMe? :gift:

1 Like

removed to prevent me wasting my time!!!

Might be difficult trying to dredge up sympathy for an incorrigible digital hoarder :joy:

Reminds me of Rev Jim on Taxi who had 22 TVs in his room so as not to miss a show and watch everything at the same time.

You don’t need 22 Tv’s. Just one or two large TVs and unlimited PiP capabilities.

And if you re-gift the cord cutting solutions you didn’t like to friends who could really use them, cost may not be the issue.

1 Like

Jim Ignatowski is one of my favorite fictional (TV) characters.

@ben1

Interesting… I think you should start a blog, and in each episode detail each experience.

What fun !

Chas

2 Likes

Many of the “discoveries” along the way have become presents for friends. The Nvidia shield, for example. My 12-year old got the AirTV box in her room and she LOVES it.

Poverty, Christmas gifts, children…I get it. You’re doing the Charles Dickens Christmas thing in time for the holidays! Thanks for getting us into the spirit of the season my friend :santa::deer::snowflake::ribbon::gift::skier::snowboarder::sled::curling_stone:

Oh the weather outside is frightful,
But the Tablo is so delightful…

1 Like