Connection 2nd,3rd,4th tv with quad4 Tablo

Granted, I’m a newbie here and my quad4 OTA isn’t even delivered yet.

What equipment (if any) do I need to connect additional TVs? For instance, do I need additional Roku or chrome cast or other similar devices for each one?

Yes one device per TV or a smart TV that can run the Tablo AP

https://www.tablotv.com/tablo-dvrs-how-they-work/

Everything is streamed through your router so you will want a good quality router with strong WiFi. Most ISP combo modem and router do not have very good WiFi, this causes buffering issues.

Thanks.

What’s the statute of limitations on Newbie status? Wondering how long can I ask elementary questions.

I do not know of one. However use the search function, in all probability a newbie question has been asked before. It could save you time.

search here

https://www.tablotv.com/support/

and get results from “Main Website Results:”, “Knowledge Base Results:”, “Blog Results:” and “Community Results:” in one shot :smiley:

(actually every tablotv.com page’s search box)

And when it still doesn’t make sense, pretty sure someone here can help explain things, or share what they’ve been through.

OP here,
I finally got my Tablo.
Setting up went well after I fumbled around finding the app to download. Just wanted to thank all for your help & support.
So far, I only have the one TV completely set up and running. Will add 2 more in near future (need to obtain 2 more Roku units.

Does anybody have a suggestion on which Roku models models to get for my additional TVs?

Again - thanks for the help - good forum!

Gardner

Get a Roku that has dual hand WiFi.

• Roku Devices We Recommend
    • TOP PICKRoku Ultra (2020)
      Improved WiFi, faster processors, and programmable quick-launch buttons make this your best bet.
    • BUDGET PICKRoku Streaming Stick+
      It doesn’t have the speed or the bells and whistles of the higher-priced options, but it has power and volume buttons for your TV and better WiFi than the low-end Rokus.
    • WILDCARD PICKRoku Streambar (2020)
      If you also want to improve your audio experience when you stream TV, this combo soundbar and streaming box could be worth the investment.

We’ve also had good luck with the Chromecast with Google TV.

It’s me again -the OP (original poster) I have a new Tablo question.

For my main TV, I have a vhf/uhf outdoor chimney-mounted antenna & got 33 OTA channels. Two VHF and the rest UHF. I got the big “four” networks and I was happy. The antenna is not a long range affair but advertised an 80 mile range. All of my “locals” are 40-45 miles away. In any case, the reception was great…for a few days anyway.

Today I hooked up an additional Roku to a second TV. The installation was satisfactory but now both of my VHF channels won’t work - on either TV. I also lost two of the UHF channels. I get a “signal too weak” message or, in some cases, the reception pixelates enough to make them unwatchable.

Here’s some additional info:

From earlier in the thread, my Tablo is the Quad four OTA DVR.
Antenna: GE yagi 80 mile vhf/uhf #33685 mounted approx 15-20 feet above the ground
I’m in lower Michigan, terrain is mostly flat with a few rolling hills
As mentioned above, my stations are 40-45 miles - most within a 10 degree spread.
I tried a signal amplifier (old one from the 80’s)with a 12db gain - No help.
My Tablo reports an excellent wireless signal
Tablo also reports most of my TV signals as “five green circles” except a couple with 3 orange.
Like I said above, I had three days of good reception, the weather was varied - rain and snow.
Today was cloudy, misty rain early. Just plain grey now.
The antenna installation still looks good from the ground but, I don’t want to go rooftop again with snow there. I may be out of luck 'til spring.
Basically, all was fine til I added the 2nd TV. Coincidence or did I do it somehow?

Anybody have a clue?

With your location in Michigan (Go Blue! :smiley:) and the weather (snow/ice) and trees, I’d say it’s a coincidence. Hooking up another Roku device should have no affect on whether or not an OTA signal is received by your antenna. I’d say it’s the weather playing tricks with your signal.

When it gets windy in my area (Indiana), trees swaying can and will play with my reception. I also have a yagi style antenna with no preamp. Personally, I don’t like the tablo’s 5 dot system of reception because it won’t give you the nuances of signal strength (Signal to noise ratio, signal quality, etc).

Things you can check.
Are you using RG6 coaxial cable from antenna to tablo? (less signal loss than RG59)
Is that cable being split/distributed throughout the house before the signal reaches your tablo? (if it is = more signal loss)
How do you have you yagi antenna setup? I found out that if I set my VHF elements (the long ones) to form a “V” shape pattern instead of a “T” shape pattern on the antenna; I am able to “focus” the antenna for a more reliable VHF signal. Considering you have about a 10 degree spread, I don’t think you’ll lose the 2 VHF stations you have in the area. Also, Make sure you have the antenna pointed correctly (I’m sure you do).

Hope you get it settled.

Thanks Kirk

I couldn’t imagine how another device could affect the signal. However, I never have easy problems.

Yes, I have RG6 directly to the Tablo. No splitters but a few “straight connections” along the way. As mentioned, I tried an older 12 db inline signal booster that’s still hooked up but didn’t help. I will remove it soon. I’m thinking I have about 75’-90’ total of coax between antenna & Tablo.

Fortunately, my signals returned to normal overnight.

My problem must have been atmospheric. Your answer reassured me that I wasn’t just plain “nuts”. Thanks

I’m on the other side of the pond to your west and I can assure you there are days where reception gets very interrupted. Mostly in late spring, summer and early fall. When the weather is warm and trees are full of leaves. But even recently, in this strange winter, there was a day where several stations to my south refused to come in. I’m 45 to 50 miles from all the towers. Then later that day they were back. It’s a pain sometimes but 97.26% of the time things work fine.