Commercial Skipping with Roku

mbellaire,  I have been using your method and I’ve found it really takes less time then the fast forward on cable boxes. I just watch the time with the fast forward and do 3 minutes and if need a little more or less I hit again slightly. I’m sure a better way could be found short of just not even recording the commercials. I’m not sure what else to do and I’d rather see other improvements. It is just different and takes a little getting use to. By the way I canceled my TV cable yesterday. Saving almost $100 a month. Everything I bought to make the Tablo work cost about $400 so I have a 4 month payback. 6 months if you count lifetime scription to Tablo guide. 

Aereo Roku had one click Two Minute Skip.  After 15 Years of various DVR use, the Two Minute forward skip (and one minute backward skip) only found in Aereo Roku was far and above the single best feature ever -  Please include ASAP on at least one device client.  Commercial breaks are usually two minutes or three minutes in length.  With Aereo Roku - Bang!  one click and done! 

I understand there is some historical sentiment in favor of 30 second skip.  If 30 second skip cannot be discarded as I would recommend, please provide a method for two minute skip forward, one minute skip back in at least one type of device client (Roku would be #1 choice) - but I’d take any of the device clients.  You could either provide multiple sets of buttons (say 2 minutes F, 1 minute back one one set of buttons and 30 forward/10 back on another set of buttons).  Or, provide SETTINGS options to choose duration of forward/reverse skip times.  If so, default settings should always be 2 minutes forward - makes everyone fall in Love and become Loyal Life Long Customers 100% of the time.

Thanks for considering 2 Minute Skip - a Better way!

I like the idea but wonder what that would do to the HLS segments stored… Hmmm

I used to own a ReplayTV and they had an auto commercial skip that worked about 95% of the time. They simply skipped over anything between the black frames that occur at the end of a segment before a commercial and the black frame at the beginning of the show again.

Shows like Law and Order messed with it because they fade to black during the show sometimes but you could turn it off if you wanted to. With a 30 sec forward and 10 sec back this worked great for may years.

I have a ReplayTV that is no longer in service. That commercial skip button is arguably the reason that ReplayTV went away and Tivo did not. The guy who created the ReplayTV did OK for himself though. He went on to create the “Netflix Player” which later went on to become the Roku

I really like the way the left right arrows work with the thumbnails on the Roku channel. It makes it very quick and easy to find where to start again after a commercial. I actually like it better than the 30s forward/10s back I had with the Dish Hopper.

I used to have a Bell PVR. Their way worked well. Right button advanced 30 seconds, and the left backed up 10 seconds.

nicholb - I agree with you, left right arrows work very well. I press the right arrow once to see the thumbnails then I press it again and hold it until I see the end of commercials and press play. Sometime I have to go back once or twice but it is so fast, I like this better than FF. I did have the Roku reboot problem when pressing enter to restart, but it never happen since I use the play button. Please Tablo don’t change this feature in Roku.

One of the reasons I want an easy way to export to NAS is so I can run software that will remove the ads. It would be really cool if Tablo could do what Dish’s Hopper DVR does, but barring that, I would LOVE to be able to auto-export recorded shows just so I could do the same thing and dump it to Plex.

In the meantime, the thumbnail feature works pretty well.