Chromecast Issues

@Thumbs - I’m sorry you’ve had a rough time but we do have many customers who use Chromecast with a lot of success. Even at the 1080 setting. 

We’re quite careful to set expectations correctly with customers but there are many factors at play with home networks that we cannot always anticipate or prevent. (For example, it’s not always easy to measure the actual speed of the LAN, as opposed to the Internet speeds people are used to seeing from the ISP.) 

We do try to work with all customers to resolve any issues that pop up but if the problem lies with their router, or their internet provider or other issues which we have no control over, we cannot always resolve the issue. 

In this case, we generally work with the customer to make them happy whether that’s a return, a suggestion for a router upgrade or something else. 

If you’re unsatisfied, please let us know and we’ll work something out. 

Here is my own story in this...

I just got my 4 tuner model last night.  Set up the system, formatted the hard drive (which took forever), and started viewing on the CPU fine.  Tried the android tablet next (with mixed results).  Finally, tried to cast to the chromecast from the tablet...no dice.  It would give me the spinning wheel, and then go back to playing the video on the tablet and the chromecast went back to the pictures from Arvid Whathisname.  It was late, so I let it go for the night.  Tried again over lunch.  Again, no dice.  But here is the weird thing... I used the tablet to connect via the chrome browser to my.tablotv.com, and I was able to cast from there.  Not ideal to say the least.  The wife is gonna hate that if this is the process we have to use going forward.  Hopefully, refining of the android app is one of the things in the works as part of Tablo's "improving the livingroom experience" plan they have mentioned.

I'll keep tinkering, but thought I would add my two cents.

@BraveUpNorth - We are working on updates and refinements to the Android app. In the meantime, please let @TabloSupport know what issues you’re seeing with the app so we can make sure to address them. 

I’ve been having similar issues with Chromecast. I’ve noticed you recommend the Nexus player. Do you think that would improve casting issues?

@gerald_goldner - Boxes will invariably be better than sticks. There’s more processing power and in this case you don’t have to rely on another device to start the stream.

That being said, if you’re not running the 720 @ 3 Mbps recording quality, give that a try.

1 Like

To add to the above, the Nexus Player has a native Tablo app for it thus you will not need to cast to the Nexus Player for playback.

The not casting part allows direct interaction between the Tablo and the device so it removes a lot of latency issues with casting.

Many people have reported good things with the Nexus Player.

1 Like

@theuser86 is spot on. Casting doesn’t work as well as native interfaces for Tablo - the Android TV app works much better. However, you will still be able to cast other apps like you did on the Chromecast, which works well.

1 Like

Thanks for the input. Any other comments re Nexus player from current users is appreciated.

@gerald_goldner Have you already read my experiences with the Nexus Player elsewhere? Or would you like me to share my experiences?

Please share . I’m hoping it will solve the FF and pause issues I’m experiencing with Chromecast.

Android TV works incredibly well with tablo. The wifi adapter on the Nexus Player (or Shield TV) are much better than the one on the Chromecast, especially the older one. You also get a remote which makes it easier to fast forward through commercials. I record and playback on the highest quality setting, and I usually have to wait around 2 seconds to start playback, and there is no wait when resuming from fast forwarding usually. I haven’t ever experienced buffering unexpected during playback. I think you would have a much better experience with Android TV compared to Chromecast.

In addition, the Nexus Player is a Google Cast receiver, so all your apps that worked with Chromecast will still work on the Nexus Player.

Thanks for the input. Picking one up today at Best Buy for $50. So gratifying to give TW the finger. They’re hemmoriging customers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome, report back how it works for you.

Hooked it up last night and I’m luvin it. I can now record in 1080 HD mode and am no longer plagued with long buffering delays, FF issues, and frequent crashes requiring reconnects. Couldn’t be more pleased so far…And browsing on full TV screen with remote is a game changer. Thanks.

1 Like

That is awesome I’m happy for you. It’s good to see the Nexus player perform so consistently across a variety of networks.

I have exactly Issue #1 using an old chromecast stick. Everything else works fine, but seeking forward to actual live tv doesn’t really work. it just goes back to the beginning of the buffered live tv and starts there. I’ll try the changing the channel workaround stated by the original poster, but it would be so awesome to be watching it on my phone, cast to the screen and just continue on like usual.