Chromecast experiences? Help gather info

WOW! Not that curious! :smiley:

So much for using this with out a sub! Just did a test recording “manually”, they did make it completely useless with out the sub. Gives you no info at all. Just says the title of what you named it. Even tho there is TV guide data for the day it doesn’t use it. Doesn’t show manual records on the freak’n guide either. So much for being able to use this with out a sub.

If you don’t have a subscription, you wouldn’t have any guide data.

The Tablo is much better with a subscription than without, but for those people that don’t want to spend the money and just want a VCR type recording, the Tablo does a fine job.

1 Like

You have 1 day of guide data with out a sub 14 days with, but it’s not used with out the sub. It’s completely crippled on any data with out the sub even tho it’s got 1 day of data. It just a money grab that they’ve made pretty much mandatory to use the Tablo.

I changed my recordings to manual for a day to see how it worked. It didn’t! “Manual Recording (date/time/channel/show)” as per their own description isn’t even true. You can’t do show because it won’t look up the data on manual record. Live TV Grid View doesn’t even show manual recordings on it either so… yeah “much better with a subscription” is a little bit of an under statement. Just more things on the main page that isn’t exactly true.

https://www.tablotv.com/tablo-products/tablo-guide-data-subscription/

Look at the link, 1 day of data! I’m so tired of arguing with people on this forum!

Returning it for a refund to Amazon today.

The 1 day of guide data is what you see on the Live TV grid view and as you experienced this guide data is not usable except for viewing what’s on TV in the next 24 hours.

I admit I was wrong. I guess there is one day of data for basic users.

I have no problems with users returning the Tablo if it isn’t for them. The Tablo works great for certain setups and can be terrible for other setups.

1 Like

This is a fair approach. Ongoing processing of guide data has a cost and should be paid for.

4 Likes

I remember in the olden days buying the TV Guide or the daily newspaper for television listings. What’s the big deal about paying a few bucks a month for guide data when everyone was doing it in the paper days for years?!

2 Likes

riffy:
“Im so tired of arguing with people on this forum!. Returning it for refund to Amazon today.”

HOORAH !!

2 Likes

I couldn’t do it! I paid for a product & didn’t get it… back it went! HDHomeRun & TVHeadEnd… done & for only $90 sub free. Never seen a single pixel out of place so far either with the same antenna I had on the Tablo.

BUT! What really got me & made me return it with in an hour, other than the horrible support & product, was crap like this!

1 Like

OK, I agree that the Chromecast experience needs a lot of work, and “pre-sale” communication. (I got “my panties in a bunch” on supported HDD’s…)

However, the big boys on the web do all the encoding first, and “serve” versions for each default client they support. (This can be done more locally in Plex for example) If the (file format/ container) that Tablo saved was in a more Chromecast friendly format, the issue then becomes the non- chrome casters complaining about not supporting the more advanced features of their hardware.

This is one of the reasons I do not have a single vendor solution myself, different solutions work better on different hardware.
If you want to talk about apps that are a joke, look at most Cable TV Apps. Or try to run the Tivo app on Android TV. Or try to play Amazon Prime Video in HD on the NVidia Shield Android TV. Or find a remote view app for the ChannelMaster DVR.

(OK, not the last two… They don’t exist…)

1 Like

“BUT! What really got me & made me return it with in an hour, other than the horrible support & product, was crap like this!”
[quote="JerryG, post:234, topic:7 HOORAH

HOORAH!!

This is an open forum. Invitation declined. Unhappy with feedback? I invite you to take your one trick pony act elsewhere. This forum is for all, not just for habitual whiners who have nothing new or constructive to add.

I feel your pain, but I am referring more to content delivery.

As far as platform centricity, I feel no one has all the “wickets” covered.
Android TV is my prime “go-to” (Netflix, Hulu, Plex, Live via Google Live Channels/ HDHomeRun, Tablo for DVR only, I use Chromecast mostly for pushing YouTube or misc. stuff from the phone). Roku is there due to inexpensive access across providers.

I agree that the Chromecast experience should be better, but I don’t know if that is something that could be easily executed with the methodology currently in use in the Tablo. (The only thing that comes to mind is similarly to how Plex allows storage of multiple versions… Multiple Versions in Plex )

(And there are a few posters that tend to express themselves in an inflammatory manner, which I don’t find helpful.)

I trust you are referring to my comments specific to Chromecast,
I just don’t imagine that those with a lot of content would want to burn the additional HDD space, especially without an officially supported HDD migration tool. Do you have some specific “downloadable software” in mind, or just basing the idea on how a different vendor does their thing like I did when referring to Plex?

(It would be fine with my recording habits, since I generally delete a show/ season when it ends, but some keep years/ TB of recorded content)

an adopter of Tablo should NOT be expected to use third or fourth party hardware / software as advertised.

I would call it more should not require third party to function as advertised, but that might be nit-picking on my part…
As far as EXPECTED, I naturally expect that other things will be run on most client devices, and possibly simultaneously.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 1 hour unless flagged)

Never watch TV in the dark ( or alone). And my NP isn’t noisy. On the contrary - smooth as silk.
How sad to howl in the dark than to light a candle. Enjoy your angst as I gleefully glide thru my most rewarding Tablo experience.
As for the “info”, we’ve heard it all before ad nauseum.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 1 hour unless flagged)