Changed internet providers, remote streaming won't work

I switched internet providers yesterday. Getting Tablo on the new network was frustrating, but I finally got it to work.

Now, I’m trying to reconfigure remote access and I am at a loss. I have spectrum internet, upnp is enabled in my router settings. I have unchecked remote streaming then rechecked it, but it just pulls up my settings for my old router.

I just want this to work. Why is this so difficult?

Did you get a new ISP provided router with the switch to the new ISP or did you reuse your old personal router? If so provide the router type, and a hint to what the new ISP is and how you configured the router for port forwarding to match the way you have the Tablo configured. Perhaps someone has the same ISP/Router configuration and can provide details. Also the new router would need to provide a consistent DHCP IP address for the Tablo.

I switched from AT&T to Spectrum. Using Spectrum’s modem and router.

The only settings I have access to is turning upnp on or off on the spectrum router. There is no port forwarding options shown.

Update: the issue was Spectrum gave me a shit router. Turns out the modem and router they gave me were registered to someone else.

Got everything working today, after swapping the modem and buying my own router (it was the push I needed to go with a mesh system).

Why didn’t I do this sooner??? Even remote access setup was a breeze! 10 minutes total reconnecting.

1 Like

I was very reluctant to migrate to a mesh system. The one thing that convinced me was the Netgear Orbi AX6000 (I purchased the 3-pack). They have 5 ports on the main router (1 WAN, 4 LAN) and 4 ports on each satellite. I wired them with ethernet (they refer to it as backhauling), and the speeds are amazing.

I try wiring all my devices as the primary choice, but there are so many things that require wireless now (Echo devices, phones, tablets, laptops, streaming sticks, irrigation controllers, HVAC controllers, cameras, light bulbs - you name it, they are “smart” now), and I was having connection issues with so many devices - they are literally all over the home.

I am a happy camper now!

1 Like

I went with the Netgear Orbi AC2200. I have ZERO ethernet connections in my house. I don’t even have a cable port in the wall. I have a cable coming up through my crawlspace and floor near my fireplace.

I am impressed by the speed and connectivity upstairs, virtually zero dead spots now.

I do like that the satellites have ethernet ports so I can wire some of the non wifi enabled things upstairs.

I have seen the light! (And when I buy my next house ethernet ports better be in every room. :joy:)

The biggest single factor is getting “tri-band” and “MU-MIMO” in a router/mesh system. They are optimized for multiple streaming connections. I have 4 wireless (Roku Streaming Stick +) devices, plus 4 wired (Roku Ultra/FireTV Cube) that stream, plus multiple gaming systems, and the only advantage of having the setup I have is connecting 60+ devices vs. 20+ devices, the support of Wifi-6 (I don’t have any devices yet that support this) and the support of up to 2.5Gpbs internet speeds.

You have a good system - and it should work great for you. The main reason I spent the extra money is “when momma ain’t happy - ain’t nobody happy”. So I made sure that the wifi was not going to be an issue…

1 Like

I guess I’ll just have to live with my 14 wired and WiFi devices. I don’t have enough fingers and toes to work 20+. Let alone 60+.

I’ve been married a long, long time. When mamma ain’t happy because of the WiFi I’m taking her to the neurologists to be checked out. Or maybe she will just wander off for some retail therapy.

1 Like

We have a relatively small house so don’t need more than maybe 1 additional access point but after some research the next time I’m in the market for a router I’ll be grabbing the UniFi Dream Machine.