CES 2016: Previewing New Tablo Apps for Apple TV and LG webOS Smart TVs

Will this lend to a universal app or will we continue to have separate apps for each iOS platform?

1 Like

I mean , its the difference between 12-15 seconds buffering (normally) and 1-2 seconds buffering, which you said wasnt possible under the current implementation. So unless you are giving the Apple TV some new capability, it was definitely pre-buffered.

2 Likes

In a recent interview, the CEO said that developing for tvOS was a completely new endeavor from iOS (I believe after having been asked if it would be pretty quick to get an apple TV app out).

So my guess would be separate apps.

Sping 2016? Really? Now you have to let me beta this

It might have already had a tuner tuned to the channel they were demoing … which would certainly speed up the channel switching.

That’s exactly what I meant.

The summer solstice heralds the beginning of summer in the Northern Hemisphere. The timing of the summer solstice depends on when the Sun reaches its northernmost point of the equator.

In 2016, summer begins with the solstice on June 20 at 6:34 a.m. EDT.

One month before it’s late…
Now may be a good time to let us know if it is not going to happen, so we can brace ourselves.

1 Like

We are painfully aware of this :slight_smile:

We said Spring & we meant it!

3 Likes

The question is “which” spring … hahahaaha lol… j/k we know you guys will knock our socks off…

APPL WWDC Keynote speech 6/13---------Watch for it!

Will the Apple TV app have the long requested feature that allows one to specify how many (1, 3, 5, 10, 25, or All) episodes to keep when creating a new TV show recording? You know that almost every other DVR has this right?

With this feature, each new show is recorded but the older ones are automatically deleted so as to keep only the number of shows that you have specified. This is especially helpful with the local news and any show that you don’t care to binge watch if you miss a few episodes. Basically, it eliminates the weekly chore of going through all your recordings to delete all of the older episodes that you don’t want or will never have time to watch. Some may be OK with having a DVR full of recordings that they may never watch, but not me.

I went back to TiVo (with equipment that I had once used with cable) because I missed this feature so much. I like TiVo’s snappy (faster than Tablo) user interface but to be honest looking for new shows & movies is much easier, faster and intuitive (and fun!) on the Tablo.

I sold my Roku (hated Tablo app) and purchased a new Apple TV in anticipation of the Tablo app for it. I am hoping this won’t be like the new Roku app release that had only basic features when released. PLEASE tell me that this feature will be on the Apple TV. I really want to sell my TiVo devices and keep Tablo.

If it isn’t in the web app, it certainly won’t be in the AppleTv app. The web app is the first place to look for changes.

Thanks snowcat, I kind of figured that would be the case. I just thought if I didn’t say it, it wouldn’t be so. :grinning:

Who is going to be at the Apple WWDC in June 2016 to introduce and demo the new Tablo App? What an honor! You know this will introduce the rest of the world to Tablo. No pressure but make sure everything is working right and rehearse, rehearse, and rehearse! LOL - can’t wait for the big day!

Not only should we not expect new features in the Apple TV app, we can also count on existing features being missing.

The announcement stated:

1 Like

OK, so it looks like the new Tablo app for Apple TV will start out with only the Live TV Grid and the Recordings screen. I’ve been waiting 6 months to only be able to watch live TV and my recordings? That’s it? Both of your developers must have been very busy. Then after the release we post the same old suggestions to the “road map” and then wait and wait for more features. I really wouldn’t mind doing everything else on the Tablo web app except for the fact that we still don’t have “keep only X episodes”. I guess technology has spoiled me. I guess I’ll stay with TiVo. I’ll look at Tablo again in a couple years when maybe they have a more competitive offering. Sorry guys you have a cool interface (still prefer your search) but the top dogs really need to move into smaller mansions and hire more developers. Whatever you do, hurry … I hear TiVo is getting more and more cord-cutters every day.

Goodbye

2 Likes

@TabloTV, I know there has been a lot of talk about the AppleTV app, while the LG webOS app has stayed under the radar. Is the progress on that still looking good for a spring release?

Yep - we’ve heard back from LG and they’ve asked us to make a few tweaks specifically for use with the Magic Remote which we’ll be sending back shortly. Hoping for a quick turnaround thereafter.

2 Likes

My Apple TV is still at Sam’s Club. When the app or a beta is available, that might have to change. Especially after yesterday’s news about NP.