Capto for Tablo (CLI Grabber)

@djk44883 in my message I said “redownload v0.6 and try again”

@rebel no idea why there are port issues but the ports for the url stream are supplied by the Tablo. capto doesn’t do anything with ports.

OK… I did, it says I can use -c to get channel data. It actually prints out code with data from /guide/series/XXX and /recordings/series/episodes/XXXX ?
Not http://[tabloIP]:8885/guide/channels[XX]

I don’t mean to be difficult, or give you a hassle.:neutral_face:

Thats part of some new features that I haven’t said a word about.
Dont use that :slight_smile: Its not supported yet.

:see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

Interesting. I’m ok with my little wrapper hack:

exec /usr/bin/ffmpeg "${@//:21200/:18080}"

and know where to look, what to tweak if problems recur. Keep it in mind for any similar reports.

Thanks for all your help and for your work on this project.

@tgwaste, @wbill3d, @CaptoUser
Can anyone confirm any issues upgrading tablo firmware 2.2.26 using

$ capto -v
capto v0.6 by tgwaste  

[] issues
[] no issues
[] unknown

Everything had been working as-is, no use for com-skip… so I left well enough alone :man_shrugging:

I haven’t done any extensive testing, but also haven’t seen any problems with my regular cronjobs that call wrapto and capto.

I believe one of capto’s claims to fame, is that it uses the proprietary API and should be stable between point releases.

1 Like

The question is strange to me. Just update and try it. If it breaks let me know. Ive not had a single issue and im pretty sure im on the newest version.

1 Like

paranoia I guess. I’ve become relient on these tools - thanks!!

Well, now that you’ve mentioned it. This is the second time I’ve recently seen this

Wide character in print at script/capto.pl line 771.
[capto] [2019-08-25 13:00] (140598) This Old House — 40th Anniversary Special - s00e00 - 

The previous was in a Star Trek episode - Ep 29: Operation — Annihilate! (this was copyNpaste from MeTV)

I’ve pasted in to google and appears to be em dash You know, another one of those special characters they keep sticking in titles, descriptions and names from the guide data.

It’s unlikely related to firmware. It appears more of a warning than an error, it’s annoying mostly. I export that show, delete it and all is well. I used capto -e ID with nothing else and worked as expected.

Thanks again for the work!

twg.org appears to be down???

Browser times out when trying to connect.

Are you asking 3 questions???

I no longer support HTTP/80. You can reach the site here:
https://www.twg.org/capto/

I asking you a question, questioning my laptop, and questioning my own incompetence/ignorance :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Would Capto work locally, i.e., extract the files from an old Tablo drive that is mounted as a local drive?

Hi tgwaste,
I installed capto on Ubuntu 19.10 and tested. Initially, when I tried to download an episode, I would get this:
./capto -e 299072 -f /home/rreed/Downloads/1234
[capto] datetime => Mon Jan 20 08:30:00 2020
[capto] duration => 1848
[capto] epid => 299072
[capto] episode => 11
[capto] epoch => 1579527000
[capto] eptitle => Stoop Planters; Fireplace Insert
[capto] recid => 69863
[capto] season => 18
[capto] series => Ask This Old House
[capto] title => Ask This Old House - s18e11 - Stoop Planters; Fireplace Insert
[capto] type => series
[capto] watchid => 299072
[capto]
[capto] [Control-C to Abort]
[capto]
[capto] /home/rreed/Downloads/1234.mp4
[capto] Progress: / (speed ) (size 0.00MB) [0%]
[capto] Export Completed in: 0h 0m 0s

And nothing downloaded. After some dinking around, I found that when I ran the ffmpeg binary in the capto directory, I get the error:
ffmpeg: error while loading shared libraries: libavdevice.so.57: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So I moved the ffmpeg binary out of the folder and dropped a symlink in the folder to the ffmpeg binary already residing in /usr/bin. Then when I tried to download an episode, it worked, as shown below:
capto -e 299072 -f /home/rreed/Downloads/1234
[capto] datetime => Mon Jan 20 08:30:00 2020
[capto] duration => 1848
[capto] epid => 299072
[capto] episode => 11
[capto] epoch => 1579527000
[capto] eptitle => Stoop Planters; Fireplace Insert
[capto] recid => 69863
[capto] season => 18
[capto] series => Ask This Old House
[capto] title => Ask This Old House - s18e11 - Stoop Planters; Fireplace Insert
[capto] type => series
[capto] watchid => 299072
[capto]
[capto] [Control-C to Abort]
[capto]
[capto] /home/rreed/Downloads/1234.mp4
[capto] Progress: 00:31:15 / 00:30:47 (speed 14x) (size 1048.49MB) [101%]
[capto] Export Completed in: 0h 2m 15s

But the video and audio are out of sync. Is there anything I can to force the video and audio to resync?

Bob Reed

P.S. And please, no jokes about the This Old House video. I needed files for testing!

apt-get install ffmpeg
Then use -ffmpeg /path/to/ffmpeg with capto to make it use that. Only have to do it once. It’ll save path.

This is all very confusing to me?
I just want to export my recordings? What do I do? Where do I get it?
Richard

https://www.twg.org/capto/
Click the download button image

Use the instructions to install

Installation instructions:

• tar -zxvf capto*tgz
  • apt-get -y install curl libdate-manip-perl libpar-packer-perl
  • ./capto -u -ip ip_or_host_of_tablo (example: ./capto -u -ip 10.0.1.6)

It works great on it’s own but I’ve found wrapto to be a great “add on”, but one thing at a time. You need to get capto it’s relatively easy to use and has little configuration involved.

I’ve discovered ways to get some great use from it, dump a list of recordings to selectively export. But if you just want to export shows from your tablo it can just dump them all or you can specify which you want.

mac version?

FYI, I just downloaded and tried capto for the first time (version 0.6). I had an issue with symptoms similar to rebel’s (immediate return with no transcoding).

After some experimentation, I found that if I specified the hostname in the -ip parameter (rather than the IP address), it caused capto to issue an invalid URL for the stream - for example:

http:///stream/pl.m3u8?Tzi7bDVq8b0nIO-Fs-BdyQ

(note the lack of a hostname or IP address in the URL).

By specifying the IP address, it works OK.

Any chance of getting that fixed?