Can we get a button to generate thumbnails?

So often I try to watch a show after it’s done recording and there are no thumbnails. So then I back out to the menu and wait a few minutes. Sometimes that works to generate thumbnails sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes I’ll do that a few times and it will not work on the first or second time but work on the third or fourth time. Can we just get a button called “Generate Thumbnails” that forces it? Then it can show a progress bar as it’s running? And maybe an icon showing that the recording has them? That would be a lot less frustrating and waste less of my time.

And before anyone asks, yes I have a tuner free for it to generate thumbnails.

2 Likes

Tablo FAQs – Why Don’t I Always See Fast Forward Preview Thumbnails on Tablo? | Over The Air (OTA) DVR | Tablo (tablotv.com)

Are you seeing any of the scenarios mentioned in this article that might explain why you sometimes aren’t seeing them?

1 Like

I too come across this annoyance from time to time. I don’t know if a button to trigger the creation manually if a good idea, however in my opinion there should be a status message telling the user why the thumbnails are not available.

It should make the recording you are looking at have #1 priority for generating thumbnails. Basically automatically do what the button you are requesting will do.

Since you can have multiple users, up to 6, watching different recordings, how many tuners will be needed?

And since some recordings are over 6 hours long generating thumbnails can require a tuner for over an hour. The longest I’ve seen is around 1 hour 35 minutes for a 10 hour recordings.

While there may be some users that have people watching 6 different 10-hour shows at once, that’s not me. I would like to be able to slave a second tuner to a high priority show and have the preview thumbnails put in the recording in real time. I used to be able to start the local news 15 minutes after it started and only catch up to the live television at the end of the broadcast.

Outside of occasional sporting events, where do people find so many 10hr shows?

You want to have 2 tuners process a single show/recordings at a time? One for “viewing” and another to generate real-time thumbnails? As a device marketed as an OTA DVR, cutting it’s ability to record is likely to appeal to as many user al those watching 6 10hr shows.

Having thumbnails available while watching live TV is a long requested feature, currently it just doesn’t work out… maybe someday - after the past year who knows what may ever happen.

Fast forward preview thumbnails for an in progress recording or live TV stream will likely never happen with the network connected DVRs that convert the native MPEG2 video to h264 video. This has been explained by Tablo Support in multiple threads as a hardware limitation, but who knows maybe one day.

1 Like

Thank you for your opinion. I disagree with every part of it. I do not grant you control over the meaning of my words in a public forum. If you are not comfortable reading words used in an appropriate, descriptive context, then that is something with which you will need to get over. As well as yourself. Please do not respond to any future posts of mine as I feel they do not help move Tablo development or understanding forward. If your ego is too poorly developed that you cannot keep from crafting another off topic reply, please send it as a private message

2 Likes

I never desired any control, none ever desired. Just respect for everyone, even if you don’t believe in the damage.

Your “context” is the topic of shared examples. I’ll leave you to your ways

I too would like a “force thumbnail generation” button for a particular recording. There have been several times when I have launched a time-shifted recording (sometimes by hours, sometimes by DAYS) only to find out that the thumbnails are not present. I’d say that thumbnails work about 90% of the time – which brings that 10% into sharp contrast when you are trying to manually skip commercials.

Thanks.

1 Like