Can I change the timing of the daily "Optimizing Guide Data"

I think there should be 2 night options and maybe two day options as some people stay up later and get up earlier. I would not want to do mine during the day because then on my days off I could be watching something and its starts the update. I would put it at 1 am 5 am 1 pm and 6pm. If it does not interrupt recordings as I think i have recorded during the update then I would move PM back to 8pm.

You’re reading in the wrong places… What is maintenance mode?

• The download of new guide data

Recordings will still take place during the Tablo’s scheduled maintenance period.

I believe do believe @TabloTV and possible @TabloSupport have mentioned this in past posts that recordings continue on.

They’ve also noted “we’re looking into allowing scheduling updating” and now added something about com skip uploads.

It does update the guide data in the background without interrupting play, you can even go test this by manually initiating the guide data update in the settings screen and see if playback does stop.

I just did this exact test and live TV was not interrupted when I hit update guide data.

Isn’t overnight maintenance mode more than updating guide data?

I think it’s been commented that recordings continue.

Yes it is, but his/her post was TL;DR lol

I responded to the statement of claim.

1 Like

Then return it and move on.

1 Like

He’s not entirely wrong. The great thing is if Tablo doesn’t fit your needs there are several solutions available these days. That hasn’t always been the case.

Cost vs benefit. That’s just business.

Pleasing a very small user population just ain’t worth it. Investing the money in other features that more people want will result in a larger ROI. The old addage applies if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

As the originator of this thread, I follow all the commenting since my original post. I have to agree with most of what Displeased has been posting. This is a VERY annoying DEFECT in their product and should be getting more attention in their support programing group. So far there has been no changes made (even to add their own suggested improvements).

I used to do that - my Tablo seems to get hot. I put it on a smart switch to power it off overnight and through most of the day, before having it turn on during the time is most likely watch it or have it record. With that setup, it would only ever update the guide when I manually told it to, which was a pain.

2020 is almost over, has anything been done here? It’s not apparent.

After a year of internal talks any updates one way or the other you can give us?? Anything with tying this with scheduling or offsetting commercial skip data uploads?

Scheduled bookmarks make it harder to forget blow-off/buzz word responses.

2 Likes

Since it seems to be a Linux based or Unix-like OS, it seems like it could be accomplished easily with a cronjob scheduler.

It also seems like a db optimization taking over the UI is a bit much. Maybe offer playback only in full quality to limit the need to transcode?

If this thing is doing H.264 decode using CPU instead of discrete DSP’s, it’s an engineering issue.

It’s my limited understanding, the transcoding enables HTTP network streaming to multiple devices.

Wow! This is technobabble that is WAY over my head… I just hope that sometime my watching of shows in the overnight hours will not be interrupted for several minutes. Either by doing this stuff on a optional *user choice" schedule or waiting until the viewing of the current show ends before starting this maintenance task.

I was referring to operation during the maintenance cycle. MP4 containers can actually be streamed without further segmentation, but it does optimize it to “chunk it up”.

Ok, but it can only play back what it has stored for recordings. As for live TV, maybe but it’s likely such a minority for a brief time… bet they have other things on some map. :neutral_face:

Those are indeed the two options…

This is a fairly popular request but I don’t have an ETA to share for it.

This is still happening?

The thing I don’t understand about this feature… it’s designed to run when nobody is using the tablo, that is why you picked this time right?

It makes no sense though because TABLO KNOWS WHEN THE TABLO IS BEING USED.

Why don’t you simply have

1. a timer that counts down 24hr from last guide optimize
  2. check if anybody has streamed anything in last 30 minutes.
  3. if no on #2, run the update and reset the timer
  4. otherwise wait an interval and do #2 again, at least until the timer expires and THEN force and update.

If you do it this way

a) it will naturally learn whenever the best time is
b) doesn’t require any configuration, no user interfaces to build/etc

It makes less sense, two years ago Jan 2019

@TabloTV gave a misleading response, so as to make users feel good.

2yrs later, all they have:

WOW. It’s really popular… and we’ll keep telling you what you want to hear :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: maybe it will get us a couple more years… Either it’s more complicated than it looks or

…it’s not a profitable/marketable design modification.

Tablo with commercial skip and now scheduling of maintenance mode!

Popular to those who’ve already paid won’t generate profit from those who don’t even know what it is.