Burned by the "good hard drive list"

Agree with @7up here and this is exactly what I do.  Split the OTA signal and go with the HDTV for live viewing on the big tv’s and use the Tablo+roku just for recordings.   

@Cameron 

We recognize that the 4K sector size is a big point of friction. We've been working on a new kernel build for a while now - this will allow the Tablo to function with these types of drives, format them faster, and support larger sizes.

Unfortunately, there's nothing stating that manufacturer's need to disclose the sector size of the drive anywhere on the packaging. Even with a recommended drive - we've had some unlucky folks run into this problem. This remains a huge priority for us to fix, and I'm confident the changes will smooth out your experience.

I appreciate stopping by the thread to make a comment, that always.  I sure hope you guys are making this a priority, I really think this would make a much better out of box experience.
@Cameron support for phone (iPhone and Android) are now available.  see https://www.tablotv.com/blog/now-available-tablo-web-apps-smartphones/ for compatibility

Sweet, thanks for highlighting that.  I’m glad I posted my complaints before sending it back, I’m slowly piecing together ways to make it work acceptably.  

@Cameron support for phone (iPhone and Android) are now available.  see https://www.tablotv.com/blog/now-available-tablo-web-apps-smartphones/ for compatibility

Sweet, thanks for highlighting that.  I’m glad I posted my complaints before sending it back, I’m slowly piecing together ways to make it work acceptably.  

Another fail, does not support chromecasting, this is the brings no more value than opening it in a web browser on my phone.

I tried out plex tonight, and that actually works really well...  I'm going to give things a try for a bit with plex before sending it back, seems like whoever wrote the plex plugin really knew what they were doing...

Also fail, now that we sat and watched recorded tv, we learned that commercial skip does not work in the plugin.  It’s amazing how every possible client has at least one thing broken on it that makes the experience unusable.