Buffering problem with 2016 Roku stick

@dlrmn This is typically what we rewocmmend for buffering on the Roku; this usually solves the problem. As @TabloTV mentioned, we should be getting our 2016 Roku sticks soon. Hopefully we’ll be able to reproduce what you’re seeing and dive deeper on this.

How do you know if you have a 2016 Roku stick? We have had Roku 1 for several years and I thought why not use the stick in our camper due to space issues even if it is slower - we have time. Well, I noticed buffering on Youtube and Tablo so much so that I showed someone Simon’s Cat from Youtube on my Kindle inside. If I can help test out anything for you let me know. Jan

The 2016 Roku stick is black. The previous version was purple.

I need to do more testing with it but so far it’s day and night performance against the old stick. I can’t give a fair eval with it against the Tablo yet cause now there’s the live play issue with the last Roku update.

The local store here was out of stock on the new sticks and I wanted to replace it right away, so I ended up getting the last generation for $39… I’m willing to live with it for another couple of years at this point. Still curious to hear how the new sticks work in case it happens again in the meantime.

I’ve been using the new stick for about 4 days, zero issues so far. Performance is on par with my Roku 3. I’m recording everything at the max rez.

The problems I’m having are with live tv.

Buffering or stops playing?

Many complaints about buffering on the Roku forum with the new stick on Roku firmware 7.1…

my previous posts describe the buffering I’m seeing.

what topics?

Given all the problems with Roku devices why does TABLO have ROKU at the top of preferred devices…c.f. https://www.tablotv.com/blog/best-streaming-set-top-box-tablo/

Based on previous surveys, it is the most used device for Tablo users. I still highly recommend the Roku because it has every app out there, unlike any other streamer.

The Roku Stick devices are historically quite underpowered when compared to their Box brothers. I have a Roku 3 Model 4200, released in March 2013 and it still works great with the Tablo channel.

I keep hearing that Roku sticks are underpowered, but I have to say, I have 4 of the older ones, and they all work just fine for me on all apps, including the Tablo app. I think the reason it’s still the recommended device is 1) So many Tablo users use one as their primary streaming device, and 2)No other streaming device has the wide availability of apps that even come close. Also, at about $40/device, it’s a really good value.

And the new Roku sticks at $30 will even be more powerful with new processors.

Has there been a resolution to the loading problem on the 2016 Roku Stick?

The problem this post seems to refer to was with firmware 7.1 which my 2016 model never missed a beat. It was updated on August 25th to 7.2 and continues to work flawlessly. I don’t think there’s a problem to be resolved. What are you experiencing? What’s your setup?

I think that my problem is actually related more to signal interference than the Roku Stick. I tried moving my TV next to my router and the Roku Stick Tablo app work perfectly. Even though the Roku says it has good signal strength in its usual location the Tablo app doesn’t work well. I think this is due to the Tablo app not being able to handle packet loss so it gets stuck loading. I’ve been searching for a free wifi channel in my area and finally found one on 5 Ghz last week. No loading problems now.

2 Likes