Apple TV or Roku3 for a mainly Apple Household

I have a Tablo and Roku3, so I know how they work together.  My sister just bought a Tablo and I am going to set it up tomorrow.  Her family all has Iphones and Ipads and a few PCs.  Which device will work better for her situation, a Roku3 or Apple TV?  I am guessing that for her Apple TV may be best but I have never used one so would appreciate and positive/negatives the Apple TV has over the Roku3.

They have Amazon Prime and Netflix to go along with the Tablo?  Thanks

Personally I would go with the Roku only because there is no app for Apple TV now. You can either basically cast from an iDevice or use Plex. But I had an Apple TV and I like the Roku interface much better…

Just my 2 cents

If I recall correctly, there isn’t an Amazon Prime app for the Apple TV.  There is however one for the Roku 3, which  I have and use.

My PC is a Mac, my phone is an iPhone and my tablet is an iPad Air.  I’m all Apple, but I wouldn’t get an Apple TV over my Roku 3.

Seems to me Roku has the most channels available for it.  e.g. I use: Sling TV, PBS, PBS Kids, Smithsonian Channel, HBO GO, FOX NOW, Bloomberg TV along with my Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime apps.  There are HUNDREDS of Roku channels with more be added daily.

Same here, I have an iPhone 6, iPad Air but I recommend the Roku 3 or even the Amazon Fire TV over the Apple TV.

Unfortunately the Amazon Fire TV doesn’t have an official Tablo app yet. The sideloaded app is great.

Roku 3… We have 2 mac pro, 4 iphones, imac, mac mini, mac book pro, ipad 2, and ipad 4.
I still say Roku3. 

I have 2 apple TVs and we don’t even use them anymore. We enjoy the Roku’s a lot more. 

Thanks for all the feedback, seems like an easy choice.  Roku3 it is

I was going to add … we “were” an all appleTv household but the Roku (and we also run a PLEX server) is just a much nicer experience… that said … if Apple ever opened up to 3rd party app developers I might have to reconsider… (I personally dont want to bother with hacks, work-arounds and jail breaking)

Woot.com frequently has the Roku’s on sale 

(one is on sale now … one more day or untill its sold out)

http://electronics.woot.com/offers/roku-3-streaming-media-player-33?ref=cnt_wp_10_2

The only thing I would add for consideration, is that any video content purchased from the iTunes store would not be playable from the Roku app (unless there is a work-around that I don’t know). So if your sister has a large amount of purchased video it may get a bit more complicated.

@jbritton3 has a good point. I usually tell people that when making their front end choices that ATV makes good sense if there’s a heavy iTunes investment.  That’s not a Tablo+ATV endorsement, just a general front end comment.

We started with 2 Apple TV’s I wanted to stay with ATV because I receive iTunes gift cards on a regular basis from a vendor I do business with. So I have a nice bank of cash in my iTunes account to rent movies and get tv series.This really was a nice addition to Tablo + Netflix + Hulu. But I didn’t really like using Airplay to get to Tablo on my TV. Plus it was a real hassle to educate guests and relatives on how our tv worked (we get a a lot of company living in So. Cal. and having family back east). So we went to Roku’s. Roku works well with Tablo. All my services are now on one device at the TV. I can still buy and rent on the Roku, I just have to pay for them now. I do have some issues with some channels on Roku whereas the Apple TV channels are much more polished and stable. So I am trading some quality to get all my services in one place. I would switch back if Apple ever lets Tablo in to make an App for ATV.

They have Amazon Prime and Netflix to go along with the Tablo?  Thanks

I have been using Roku 3 with Tablo and it has worked quite well (the only let down is the UI, but that is being addressed very soon).  If your sister is a big consumer of Amazon prime, I’d definitely recommend looking into the Amazon Fire TV as well. There isn’t a Tablo app out today, but is is promised to be available in the next few weeks.  I got the Fire TV really just to test it out and compare to Roku, and I like it a lot.  I think the interface is overall more modern than Roku and it has great technical specs (processor, memory) so should be able to evolve nicely over time.  And I’m hoping (so just speculation) that the better/faster processor in the Fire TV will make the Tablo app experience superior to the Roku in terms of interface speed. There is also a promotion with Sling TV and Fire TV going on currently if that is of any interest to your sister’s family.

Just something to consider.
The only thing I would add for consideration, is that any video content purchased from the iTunes store would not be playable from the Roku app (unless there is a work-around that I don't know). So if your sister has a large amount of purchased video it may get a bit more complicated.

It is trivially easy to remove the copy protection from iTunes video.  Once done it will play on Roku.  Change the extention afterwords from M4V to MP4 and it will run on Android too.

Fantastic! I didn’t realize it was that easy.

If the iPad is a gen 2 or more current, why not try the IPad TABLO app. I use iPhone & iPad with an HDMI adapter and a 25 foot HDMI to HDMI to the TV. I guess it is what one gets familiar with and funds available.