Apple TV Odd Behavior w/ Tablo

I recently setup a 4 Tuner Tablo and purchased an Apple TV 4K in preparation to cut the cable. I was so excited until I

The Apple TV 4K and Tablo are connected to my network via NETGEAR PLP2000s (HomePlug AV2) and all the Pick a Plug LEDs are green, indicating a > 80 Mbps link rate. iPhones and iPads have no issue streaming the HD1080 - 10Mbps recordings I’ve made without any real hesitation or buffering and I have the same experience with live TV. Unfortunately, the Apple TV 4K on the other hand is a different story. Takes a couple of minutes to load a show and it can only go a couple minutes before buffering again. This also occurs when attempting to watch live TV via the Apple TV as well.

Everything is running the latest software (iOS 12 and TVOS 12.0.1). I am unsure what my issue could be, I rebooted everything and I did turn down the recording quality to troubleshoot (will know more tonight as recordings are made in 720).

I also have a Roku Streaming Stick (3600R) that has no issues utilizing the HD1080 recordings (and it’s connected to a HomePlug WiFi Extender) with no obvious buffering.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I’d like to get back to the HD1080 if possible and move forward with cutting the cord.

Thanks,

J

We haven’t observed any reasons why the Apple TV would have more buffering issues than other platforms. Did you notice any kind of improvement after changing the recording quality?

There was some improvement after reducing the recording quality.

I am starting to wonder if I have an issue with bandwidth on my HomePlug AV2 setup. I’ve had no issues streaming from the Internet in 1080 HD.

Does the Tablo do any compression prior to sending the video to my AppleTV or Roku?

–J

Yes - but you will always receive an average of the recording or live TV quality you have selected (e.g 10Mbps, 5Mbps).