Anyone added a high powered dual 2.4 and 5 G modem to ATT and shorten Sync time?

Hi folks,
I am restating content from previous post in the form of a question to anyone who has added a newer high powered dual modem to an ATT residential gateway. Did it significantly shorten the Sync time?
We have a grandfathered ATT (pace) 3801HGV modem/router, and the hope is that it would dramatically improve Sync times. We don’t need the extra speed for any other use, so the expenditure and tech upkeep of two devices … linked to ATT with no support because of two vendor hookup… would not be worth it if it does not significantly reduce Sync.
Thanks in advance.

This shouldn’t shorten sync at all. It’s a design issue, there’s no magic hardware fix.

Now, if you had a really really really really bad network, maybe, but a working el-cheapo network should be fine.

Agreed.

Adding a router to the gateway will NOT reduce sync times. I have the same gateway as you 3801-HGV but I have a netgear router handling all of my LAN.

Thanks CJ, Kirk. Hey Kirk, are are there other benefits to the Netgear if it is not Tablo? We are relatively throughput light users, although we now run up to two TV’s at a time of four around the house with HD sticks, streaming HD video. Would it be worth, in your opinion, the investment in a netgear R7000 $150 from AMZ? I have liked the one vendor foolproof integrated box from ATT, if not the highest powered. Thanks.

You haven’t identified what extended router features (besides WiFi and ethernet ports) you currently use or what extended features you want on the new router.

In your situation why is the R7000 better then R6700 for a $56 price difference.

Most Netgear routers automatically detect the router behind router configuration and automatically configure as such. The LAN ports and WiFI are enabled but other extended features are left on the ATT router. Thus the Netgear router is functioning as a bridge. But if you go router-behind-router don’t forget to turn off the ATT WIFI. Otherwise you might have WiFi radio interference.

Thanks Zippy. The R7000 is just getting more recommendation ‘airplay’ than 6700 … with some new smart tech that does throughput better? . We just have a couple desktops hooked to wifi (both same floor upstairs) couple of phones and tabs that get almost no video access, a latop in the kitchen that we watch some video on, and four TV’s with streaming devices, never more than two of them at a time. $100 instead of $160 is more attractive. We get occasional buffering on the old laptop in the kitchen, probably 6 year old dell.

If you have been successfully getting by with that old ATT router and what appears that it only has 2.4 WiFi, will you really need those new features in the near future?

Maybe you are only interested in the improved performance and less congestion of 5 Ghz WiFi for those devices that have 5 Ghz and are close enough.

I’m still using a Netgear WNDR4300 WiFI 5 Ghz to drive set top boxes in the same room. And 2.4 Ghz for simple PC connections. And powerline for upstairs set top box video.

Maybe with AC routers you would have better WiFi coverage and performance. But for video I always like wired for over WiFi when the WiFi is over 30 feet through walls… Less likely to get interference when someone fires up the microwave or your neighbor starts using his ARC welder.

Thanks Zippy for your input. Your thoughts steered me to the conclusion that I might benefit most by adding a wired Access Point, and after reading a lot of reviews, ordered the Almond… thinking that I didn’t have any 5g capable devices. My old ATT router is in my office on the second floor. I can drop a Cat 6 cable pretty easily from attic to basement and could then position the AP near the center of the basement, somewhat centered between the 3 TV’s on the main floor. It now appears that my 3 AMZ FirestickHD and likely Roku stick are all 5g devices. The streaming sticks work pretty well now even a long way from the old ATT 3801. I am hoping that the closer AP will goose their performamce. There are a ton of reviews that say the Almond had a huge positive impact on download speed on my exact same ATT router.

The syncing issue I had is now greatly reduced. That long long time that my TV’s took must have been because of a channel lineup change… the number and severity are vastly reduced.

Wife and I are still getting used to the bit of lag and how to navigate, but are liking Tablo a lot, and can see ourselves really using the recording feature more than we used Comcrap recorder, not the least of which is being able to watch anywhere in the house.

Thanks again.

Shovel/Paul

Shovel99,

Sorry for the delay in response. I usually don’t look at the forums over the weekend.
My main advantage of adding a netgear router WNR3500L behind the ATT 3801-HGV (many years ago when I got ATT) was/is reducing the stress on the 3801-HGV (if you can call it stress/workload). I had poor wifi coverage with the 3801, I have better control over different LAN IP addresses with the netgear DHCP with IP reservations (didn’t like the 3801 user interface), I could use Quality Of Service (QOS) that I could understand with the netgear for my gaming needs/wants (reducing lag).

Like what zippy said, I use wired cat 5e for all my dedicated devices (firetv, xbox, computer) and wifi for phones and tablets; wired connections will always trump (euchre/playing cards term not president :wink: ) my wifi connections. I also have a wifi repeater for the spring/summer times when I want to enjoy the backyard deck (where I have my router, the wifi signal has to get through quite a few walls to reach the deck).

Looks as though you went with an Access Point to help with wifi coverage of your house. It should help and I hope you like the results. Remember, if you go with a router solution, to turn off the wifi signal of the 3801 and to put the 3801 into DMZ mode.

Thanks for thoughts, Kirk. This is going to be a hands on learning experience. We’ll see how the next step: WAP near the lower floor… helps. I really only have buffering down there on computer playing back video… the Firesticks seem to do OK.
Shovel