Any way to kill "looping" upon poor signal reception

@wantatablo Sorry - should have been more clear. This is a bug within the Roku’s video player - which the Tablo did not have a hand in. We did of course write the app, but this is the result of the player implementation itself - done by Roku.

To avoid the problem, why don’t you just improve your reception. That is the simple solution. Get a better antenna, find a better location for the antenna, add a preamp, etc.

Solving the “poor signal reception” problem by improving the signal reception? What kind of common sense crap is that?

I have a mohu 60 and the amp that came with it. my zip code is 28078 and from what I see it SHOULD work. But I was wondering if another amp would help, but I don’t know a thing about amps or what I should buy.

Do you live in a house or apartment? Where is the Mohu 60 antenna located? It already has an amp built-in. Is the signal distributed among a variety of devices through a splitter? Are your channels all in one direction - in any case I believe the Mohu 60 is meant to be omni-directional. It’s spec states that it has a 60 mile range.

For a $150 antenna, this thing does not have great reviews. If as the manufacturer claims it comes from “advanced” military technology, our armed forces are in trouble… Mohu tends to overstate their antenna capabilities.

Sixty mile range? That’s pushing it as an RF signal maximizes around 35 miles and 60 is an outer boundary for most high powered antennas. This one is just plain smallish compared to the 4228s and DB8e’s that are meant for extended distance.

I live in a house and I installed it on the roof. The cable from the mohu goes to the box on the side of the house for cable and connects to one of the lines. I can’t remember if there was a splitter there - I’ll have to go back and check this afternoon.

They’re individual lines so from there it goes directly to the tablo.

Hopefully this link works - http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3De2cb5ca0e646c2

The channel that is having the issue is the first one in the list. If I remember right I believe I have the antenna facing at about 140 degrees. (not at home right now)

At LOS and 12 miles, the amp is probably overdriving the channel and killing it. Might need a filter for that channel to lessen it.

Your major channels are at 269 degrees. Turn the antenna in that direction and away from CW - that might lessen it rather than getting a filter. In any case you don’t need an amp as close as you are. Can you turn the Mohu 60 amp off?

If you can’t turn the amp off, put a splitter in line which should cut the signal in half. Run one part of the splitter to the Tablo and the other to the TV.

You would probably get a decent, clean signal all around by facing the antenna half way between 140 and 260 degrees - at 200 degrees.

Did you try plain old rabbit ears before the Mohu? You’re close enough.

Interesting. I’m not a signal buff so I assumed they sent me an amp, use the amp. I’ll try disconnecting the amp first since that doesn’t require getting on the roof.

If that doesn’t work I’ll move the antenna.

I’ll let you know how it goes,and thanks!

If disconnecting the amp kills the antenna altogether, put a cheap $2.00 splitter in line to diminish any overdriven signal before getting on the roof.

And put the other end of the splitter to the tv - then you don’t have to use Tablo for live tv and your life will be much better:)

1 Like

Disconnecting the amp made the other channels worse. It was really windy today so moving the antennae will have to wait until tomorrow.

Try a splitter with the amp plugged in.

Moved the antenna this morning to 200 degrees. The Tablo couldn’t pick up the channel. I attached the amp again and it came up, but then it started the loop. I’m going to look around for a more powerful preamp. I’m a little overwhelmed on which one to buy though. They tell me that the Mohu 60 comes with a 15 preamp.

I actually sent an email to Mohu and that was their suggestion - although they wouldn’t recommend one.

At that close range - 12 miles - you don’t need a preamp. Have you tried splitting the signal before it reaches the Tablo?

But without the amp the channels get worse.

I’m not doubting you, I’m just having problems wrapping my head around this.

If the antenna at 12 miles without a preamp can’t get you the signals cleanly at 100% then the antenna is not doing its job. At 12 miles plain old fashioned rabbit ears will work without being amped up. Heck a paper clip will work that close with LOS.

Try the splitter WITH the amp in - this will show you whether the antenna with amp is overdriving the signal if the splitter settles the signal to normal. Splitter goes after the amp and before the Tablo.

This is a picture of my mohu 60 at 200 degrees.
Trees could be the issue?

Trees could be the issue. As well the neighboring houses that appear above the slope of your roof. Winds and breezes moving the leaves on the branches will cause signal disruption, thus pixelation. Those trees look to be 75 feet high - no chance of getting the Mohu higher and above the tree line.

An antenna that is better for tree scattered signals is a multi-bay bowtie antenna such as a Channel Master 4221 (or 4228) or Antennas Direct DB4e (or DB8e). These have larger signal gathering faces than the smaller Mohu. However they are not omni-directional (though the DB8e can be made to be multi-directional).

What is that large net seen in the picture against the sky?

This is what the cable from the antenna connects to to come into the house. Once inside there is a cable from the wall, then the mohu amp to the tablo.