Antop Antennas!

Why stop at that, how about the works of M.C. Escher … make the Antop appear to be moving, as sort of an optical illusion.

Interesting DIY build (attic) for ch 5 here (post 12263):

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/28454-boston-ma-ota-409.html#post58537064

1 Like

Now that’s what I call an antenna. Excellent DIY on that!

There’s GLaDOS promising everyone cake!! Oh no, we’re doomed! haha

WGBH has officially requested the FCC for more power. An increase from 6.7 kW to 34 kW (5x).

1 Like

@ericgus With that power increase, hopefully simple rabbit ears will work for low VHF.

1 Like

im about 40 miles away, so I hope so but keeping my fingers crossed … I sort put installing a low vhf antenna till this whole mess is sorted… I really dont want to be tromping up on the roof or attic farting around with antenna configuration every time something changes.

For the $40 million WGBH got for going low VHF in the repack auction, they should send someone out to your house to install a low VHF antenna. They now have the money to do this as a favor to OTA viewers in Mass…

Additional Note: It’s not $40 million. IT’S ACTUALLY $218,767,868 for two stations.

3 Likes

WGBH specifically got $161,723,929.00

The list of stations - the money they got for moving is here:

The big winner was TBN at over $300 million making the Crouch family happy :smiley:

This list doesn’t include stations that moved uhf-to-uhf.

Only those going offair or moving to vhf.

1 Like

Since everyone else is showing-off their antenna installations, I figured I’d do the same.
Here’s my ANTOP AT-415B UFO HDTV antenna mounted on my roof using a Winegard DS-3000 39" J Pipe Mount.
It’s all connected to my 4-tuner Tablo DVR in my family room, which went from getting 19 area channels ‘ok’ to getting 26 area channels GREAT at 100% signal strength. The chimney isn’t in the way of any towers since there are none in that direction, so I didn’t have to mount the antenna any higher than the chimney.
I decided to go with an omnidirectional antenna because I have broadcast towers in three directions from my house and would have to get three separate antennas otherwise. The table-top antenna I had, previously, was aimed halfway between the ABC/NBC/CBS towers and the CW/FOX towers which caused all of them to come in at about 75% to 85% - even with the antenna on the top floor of my house - and I couldn’t even get anything from the PBS tower which was in a third direction. So the final decision on a new rooftop antenna was to get an omnidirectional antenna so I can receive all the signals from all the Omaha, Nebraska area towers for a change.
I just wish I could put some flashing LEDs around it to give it that real “UFO” look! :smiley:
Here’s a pic of the final install . . .

I know the J hook pipe looks kinda ‘funky’ but it works! :wink:
I had to use the pipe that way because of the angle of the roof along with the way the antenna had to mount to it to stay level.

3 Likes

Aaaah, just put Area 51 on the bottom :grinning:

Nice install and great use of the pipe mount. I’m using one of those on a guest house, the results are sterling. I also like the way it looks.

1 Like

That’s a really good antenna. My sister bought one of those and she loves it. She gets all the channels & they come in really clear. I get perfect results with my cheapie antenna but when I move to a new place I’ll upgrade to that one.

Plus. A friend of mine bought something similar to that from Antop, a space aged design and he get all possible stations with it.

1 Like

Where did you find a long J pipe like that? I want a longer one as I want to raise my install without having to buy a longer ladder for a shorter pipe.

@Zman_Tablo, click the link in my OP and it’ll take you to the Amazon posting for it. However, they only have two sizes listed - 22" and 39" (IIRC).

@sodaman_2000, good idea! Gonna have to do something to jazz it up some to give it an alien look. :alien: :space_invader: :robot:

May we recommend some glow in the dark spraypaint? Could be a hilarious way to freak out your neighbors :laughing:

1 Like

@TabloTV, perfect! My weekend project!

I second that emotion.