Antenna Problems

I have a Leaf antenna installed indoors.  When I first got my Tablo I hung it on the wall and was able to get all the local main networks great.

Lately I have been having intermittent problems with a couple of the stations, even though the signal strength says full strength.

This morning I wake up and suddenly I can only get 2 channels, instead of the 6 I had last night.  I don’t get it.
What is going on?

did you try plugging it directly into the TV to see if the signal is still strong?  Sometimes atmospheric conditions will degrade your signal.  Also, as trees fill out for the summer, that will defect the signal too.  That used to happen every spring before i mounted my antenna on my roof.

I would also try rebooting the Tablo. I have had it happen to me a few times when suddenly I lose all my HD channels.  The reboot solves the problem.

Also, signal strength is not live.  It only shows your signal strength when you did your channel scan.  To get updated numbers, you have to scan it again.

I tried connecting to the TV and it was bad there too. I decided to try a different room and got better reception there. Unfortunately my router is in the previous room. But I moved the Tablo there and used WiFi and it was working great for a couple of hours. But now I can’t get a couple of stations at all.

We do have some minor storms rolling through so I will see what happens when they are gone.

At first I was so happy with the Tablo and the idea of cutting the cord. But now I’m getting worried that it might not be a good idea. If I can’t manage to get good reliable OTA signals I won’t be happy.

It just drives me crazy that I can do a scan and get a solid 5 green dots on every station and then a while later I can’t even watch some because of “weak signal”. It seems like there is a lot of “voodoo” involved in doing this.

I might have to move up to an attic antenna but I really know nothing about those and setting them up.

Not sure if it will work for you but I plugged my antenna into one of the existing coax jacks in my house and the Tablo into another one so I didn’t have to co-locate the antenna with the Tablo and look at an antenna in my main viewing room. Of all places, I actually put my antenna in the basement and have enough signal strength to get the channels I want.

The existing coax connections I have are wired to the cable. I just subscribe to Internet but I discovered that I can still get all the local HD channels with it. But the Tablo doesn’t work with cable so I need the antenna.

You would think that the higher the antenna is the better the reception but that’s not true for me. If I put the Leaf all the way at the top of the wall, against the ceiling I get worse reception. I currently have it about 1.5 feet down in my bedroom.

Run a TVfool.com signal strength
analysis report.  Input your location, include
height of the antenna, an analyze results. 
The report will recommend compass direction to aim antenna.  Its color coded to tell you channels you will
most likely receive and others that require different antenna type mounts.  Change height selection on report and see if
there is a difference in reception if antenna is in your attic. Lots of factors
can affect TV reception, distance to tower, obstructions (natural and man-made),
type of antenna, incoming signal strength, etc. 
Yes, height of antenna can make a difference, but when indoors, there
are many construction materials that can impede reception. I tested Mohu Leaf
antenna at my location. I had it hanging from ceiling, but away from wall which
gave me better results. A lot of people use Mohu and I’m sure it’s an excellent
product, but, I found a different antenna that gave me better results consistently
during testing at my location.  Remember
too, there is an option for Powerline Ethernet adapters as an alternative to
Wi-fi.
@NapMan Run a TVfool.com signal strength analysis report.  Input your location, include height of the antenna, an analyze results.  The report will recommend compass direction to aim antenna.  Its color coded to tell you channels you will most likely receive and others that require different antenna type mounts.  Change height selection on report and see if there is a difference in reception if antenna is in your attic. Lots of factors can affect TV reception, distance to tower, obstructions (natural and man-made), type of antenna, incoming signal strength, etc.  Yes, height of antenna can make a difference, but when indoors, there are many construction materials that can impede reception. I tested Mohu Leaf antenna at my location. I had it hanging from ceiling, but away from wall which gave me better results. A lot of people use Mohu and I’m sure it’s an excellent product, but, I found a different antenna that gave me better results consistently during testing at my location.  Remember too, there is an option for Powerline Ethernet adapters as an alternative to Wi-fi.

Just curious, what antenna did you find.

So far the current antenna location seems to be doing fine and WiFi is working good too.  I have a feeling I might end up having to go with an attic antenna but we’ll see.  I checked the TVfool site and there isn’t a whole lot of difference for me.

@NapMan
I use a GE Attic Mount antenna from Walmart ($19 online) and a Radio Shack amplifier. At 35’ height and clear LOS (Line of Sight) to the towers, this antenna outperformed the more expensive models I tested. I could have gone with a home brew coat hanger antenna, and it probably would have worked at my location. I found a lot of useful information on TVfool site to help me find the right antenna and placement. Remember, the Reviewers rave about Mohu’s customer support assistance.