Android TV Live Channels

This would be HUGE!!!

+1 for Android TV Live Channels integration!

2 Likes

+1 this would be huge for Tablo TV/ Android TV lovers!. My wife would kill for a single grid guide with everything populated! Please at-least look into what it would take to add this feature. You could even add a settings switch that could would turn on/off the guide in the Tablo app if a user does decide to us the “Live TV” for the guide/live TV.

1 Like

I know its November now, but The Weather Network supports Live Channels and actually works. Pluto TV does not work to good in Live Channels, but the app itself does.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com if you want the web version. There is NOT a ROKU or FireTV version. I did load the Android version to my Fire Tablet and it works.

1 Like

Any updates on Live Channel implementation? (Haven’t visited the board in awhile) And if not, I know Google has a lot of guides on Android TV development. Does Tablo make APIs or source code available if someone wanted to try and beef up the Android TV experience?

@orpheus - No update yet. This is on the roadmap but I don’t have an ETA yet.

We don’t as of now have an API openly available but this is also something we’d like to do moving forward.

Thanks! Hopefully sooner rather than later. Really hoping Android TV can live up to it’s potential.

So far Pluto TV is better stand alone rather than Live Channels only The Weather Network works .

Adding Live Channels support is a must. Google is going to be pushing this more and more down the road.

I also won’t buy a tablo dvr to replace my hd homerun until it has it

Does your hdhomerun use Android TV Live Channels?

Yes it does.

What I wish is I could hook up a usb tv tuner to the Nexus and it use it. It looks like apps have been developed to do just that but not using US tv standards.

@TabloTV I’m glad to see you working on the new AppleTV and WebOS apps but I was just curious if we’re going to see any Android love early 2016? If so is there anything to share on the live channels? No complaints though. Tablo TV is still the best experience for live & recorded TV in my opinion on any modern platform and but I was just curious if there was anything for us Android TV users to look forward to in the short term.

1 Like

@BobsledOhio - Don’t worry… The Android team is working just as hard. We’ll be showing some love to you Droid folks later this year :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@TabloTV Later this year, meaning like Fall or Winter 2016?

1 Like

I don’t have a firm ETA for anything Android yet so I’m not going to guestimate… When I asked about what they’re working on I got smiles and thumbs up from that side of the office so they’re feeling good about progress. Once I have more details I’ll be sure to share them.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing what you can. I wonder if we’ll be hearing more around IO in May…

I know it isn’t May, but I just want to make sure this doesn’t get lost in everything else going on… This feature would be a major win in the “keep it spouse friendly” category. The tie in to the “notification cards” and voice search features of real “Android TV” devices could make it truly shine. (And I wish all the knock off android tv boxes could get more separation from the real thing)

I threw this poll together, please comment on it in order to show your impressions…
Should “Live Channels” support be a priority?

Apple TV app is scheduled for Spring 2016, so even if Android TV becomes a thing, it won’t be until Summer or Fall 2016. But I am just purely speculating.

@TabloTV now that Apple TV app is released, what about Android Channels?

1 Like