Android App (Web App) Chromecast & Google Cast Issues

I absolutely love the new Android TV app for Tablo. Great performance and easy to use.

Now the Android App for my phone and tablet also works well when watching on my phone. When I try to cast it to my Chromecasts or Nexus Player, it will play fine most of the time, but whenever I Fast Forward or Rewind, it takes a good 3-5 seconds on the Nexus Player to catch up and probably twice that on the chromecast. Totally unusable. And Rewind seems to be even worse. This process is near instant on the Android TV app. I’m having the same issue on the Chrome browser using cast.

I am running the following gear:

• Moto X (2013)
  • Nexus 7 (2013)
  • Nexus Player
  • Chromecast
  • Linksys WRT1900AC (Wireless AC Router with both 2 GHz and 5 GHz)

My network is robust and one chromecast is directly adjacent to the router, so network shouldn’t be an issue.

Any thoughts on what might be my issue? Or is everyone else having these problems?

@ShadowsPapa has a lot of experience with Chromecast, maybe he can shed some light on to this for you.

1. What is your recording quality set to? The WiFi antenna in the Chromecast is not the best, it’s tiny and it only supports 2.4 GHz so many people have had issues streaming higher bitrates of 1080p to it. It does not matter if you have an amazing router, the front end device itself it the limitation. That is why Tablo created the “720p Roku / Chromecast” recording quality.

Sorry, forgot to mention that I’ve set my quality to Chromecast 720p. I am having the same issue on my Nexus player when casting, that is the weird part.

In my experience the casting of both the Chromecast and Nexus player work poorly. After I got the nexus player I gave up on trying to cast and just use the native app which seems to work pretty well as you saw. I also have a fairly robust network so likely the casting function for Tablo needs some bugs worked out

The Nexus Player has its own native app now right?

It is only the Chromecast that requires casting from a device?

Yes it does. I always use the native Android TV app, but I tested out the casting on the nexus player to see if I had the same issue, which I do, just not as severe.

FYI, I have no issues with casting from my PC to my chromecast. It is not as quick as the native Nexus Player app, but quicker than casting to the Nexus Player.

This is an Android App issue from what I can tell, not necessarily a chromecast issue.

Is your PC hard wired to your router though?

With a smartphone you are engaging in “double WiFi”. Tablo to router is hard wired, but then sending the stream from smartphone to router is the first WiFi use, then router to Chromecast is the second WiFi use. The stream unfortunately does not go from Tablo to router via wired connection then directly from router to Chromecast via WiFi. This creates a bunch of latency issues.