After a year, can no longer tune in ABC & CBS

Would mention that to the Tablo engineer!

Now here’s the question: is that logic in Tablo’s code or the tuner’s microcode? Would Nuvyyo have to fix that or the tuner supplier? Or throw it back to the station? Ping pong anyone?

1 Like

I did one more test and have to retract my supposition that the new Tablo is at fault. Although the old Tablo still perfectly broadcasts those channels (retained in that Tablo’s guide data), they no longer show up on channel scans with the old Tablo either. In my learned opinion (ha!!) that clearly narrows it down to a PSIP/TSID/ATSC problem. Whatever those things are. I’ve said all along that the Tablo lost the ability to “see” the channels, and you guys explained precisely how that’s probably the case. I’m curious how many Tablo users are within the WBBJ broadcast area… Now if the tv/Nuvyyo/tuner engineer will just figure out how to fix this problem which possibly affects only lil ole me.

Isn’t OTA reception fun? I’ve fought with these sorts of problems many times over the past decade (mine own and those of people I’ve installed antennas for). That’s why several decades ago people started the migration to cable - have the cable company work all this out for you and save you the headaches. That is until the prices and contract hassles started escalating…

1 Like

Don’t you just love it when an engineer mentions, “Well, I remember a software change a little while back…”

2 Likes

I asked him if anything had changed that would affect signal strength, having explained that the Tablo tech said the signal is too weak. His reply was that there was nothing affecting signal strength, but there was a software update a few weeks ago that could cause me to have to rescan. Which I had done a few hundred times in the past 3 weeks, so at the time, I didn’t recognize the potential significance of the software update. To his credit, he offered several possible solutions, but this alphabet soup possibility wasn’t mentioned. It takes a village!

Having multiple tuners (TV, DVR, etc) to test a signal is very useful. One tuner may fail on a certain condition that another tuner won’t. So it’s good to have verification from different devices. Heck that applies to antennas as well. Some antennas are better at receiving higher frequencies, others at lower frequencies. Channel 27 may come in better on one antenna type and worse on another.

Oops. Ancient VCRs can’t interpret OTA signals? I had used them with basic cable for 8-10 years before Tablo. I’m dead in the water on recording ABC & CBS until this alphabet soup signal issue is resolved or I get the Homeworx unit.

The Tablo has an ATSC tuner in it. Old school cable was not ATSC, current OTA is ATSC. Old OTA was NTSC. Old school cable was NTSC as well. Most VCR tuners do not support ATSC from my knowledge.

Read here:

1 Like

Oops I should have caught that when you mentioned using a VCR in the meantime! For old times sake, I had hitched up my VCR to the Homeworx as a fun test since the Homeworx can convert an ATSC signal to an NTSC one through its RF Out port.

1 Like

So what was the fix? Was there one? In 33603 and having what is probably the same problem. I’m less than 20 miles from the signal, ABC used to be there with a high yellow but is now not there at all.

Dying without access to The Good Doctor.