Active recordings skipping to end

I have a 4-tuner model used with an Apple TV that sometimes skips to the end of active recordings. It ruined two football games for me today because it skipped two hours in, but with another two games it worked as expected. I previously contacted Tablo support, but that kind of email correspondence every couple of days starting with, “are you sure you are watching it right?” is something I don’t really have time for.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Yes! I am in the same situation unfortunately. I just signed up for the community so that I could reply to your post. I have the same hardware as you as well (Apple TV and 4-tuner Tablo). It is very frustrating when you start to watch a football game that is being recorded and is way behind live only to have it immediately jump to live. This just happened to me tonight.

This is definitely a bug and not something that you (or I) are doing wrong.

Hopefully, they’ll get this figured out.

I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

Just curious, do you have “commercial skip” enabled? Sounds like something that that might do… if there is a bug in it. Personally, I do not have the comskip feature enabled (for other reasons).

I was just wondering…

It’s still happening intermittently to me. I’m forced to turn down the sound and hold up an arm to block the bottom of the screen to avoid seeing the scores until I can go back to the beginning of the recording. Great user experience that is.

On the first day of the NFL playoffs, it happened with the Houston/Buffalo game but not the New England/Tennessee. Only one tuner was being used to record the game. I do not have commercial skipping enabled. I do use HomePods with my Apple TV, but I have no problems with any of the six streaming services I use.

When you’re selecting it to watch, are you going to the Recordings screen or are you launching from the Live TV screen?

Selecting it from the Live TV screen will bring you to the ‘now’ versus starting playback from Recordings will bring you to the start.

This happens when accessing it from the Recordings screen. I’m not sure if it is 100% of the time or predictively reproducible, but I will do some tests when I have time.

I have not seen a pattern to the behavior.