About ready for a test drive

Good call @cthompgh I edited my post to include @TabloTV. There’s probably something I’m missing which would be great to clear up

I did open a support ticket a few days ago with no response yet. I’ve even offered, via email, to test and contribute in terms of essential features without morphing into a heavy tivo like solution. Wishing @TabloTV the best as they navigate what must be a difficult legal battlefield with tivo in the picture

1 Like

I chatted with our engineer on this, and we’ve confirmed that we can definitely handle signals stronger than -50dB. However, we haven’t recently quantified what the absolute limit of amplification can be.

Keep in mind, the Tablo ships with a 30-day money back guarantee. Feel free to check it out. If you have any issues, our support team can help you with an analysis of any problem channels.

Thank you that is very helpful! Any chance of a real time signal quality indicator?

It’s something we’d like to do, but we don’t have any commitments to it at the moment. We’re wrapping up a few things before the end of the year, so we’re fairly busy at the moment.

Cool. Appreciate the insight

Notice some stations have an arriving signal strength as high as -15 db in my area.

Assuming no extra amplification and the antenna gain sufficient to cancel coax losses, and one passive splitter between the Tablo and the TV, the Tablo could easily see signals in the -20 to -30 db range, and I would sincerely hope the unit could handle signals of that magnitude.

1 Like

Exactly. I believe the standard is - 8dBm .

OK after some hiccups and delays I finally have my Ota setup working with a 14 foot winegard antenna in the attic, a variable gain distribution amp, and a gb wired network courtesy of an hp 1820 series switch. Getting closer to giving this thing a whirl.

Any setup information I should be aware of? I’m reading of issues with windows, Firefox and IE. Are these real or resolved over the past year? Should I prepare for poor performance during the first 24 hours?

Does the Samsung TV app work or should I invest in a roku for the initial test?

I have an old 6gb fire stick running fire os 5.2.6.1 fire tv home version 6.0.0.2-007. Is this a good test platform? My wifi is very robust - ubiquity wap powered by the hp switch

Thanks for the additional comments

I have Roku 3’s and they have worked very well for 3.5 years. I also have a NP and Mi Box that also work ok. Have had very few problems and record about 15-20 hrs every week. good luck.

Personal preference is a streaming box, atv4 or 4K, Roku box, or ftv2 box. Not familiar with a shield too much.

The sticks seem to be underpowered from what I’ve read.

I’d stay away from the new firetv, lots of posts about stuttering and what not.

If your WiFi is strong, good deal. My boxes are all hardwired up.

I have mine all wireless, but a good router that supports 802.11AC. While Tablo doesn’t use faster speed, all the devices do.

Dido on My old Roku 3 but not anythig less. Roku Ultra slightly better.

So the Samsung TV app and the older fire TV sticks: fair test or not?

Whats the best platform from which to perform the initial setup?

This says something about the Samsung app as it currently works for me- My home theater has a Samsung smart TV with the Tablo app (which is pretty new) and a Roku 3 with the Tablo app. I played with Tablo on the Samsung, but now have gone back to using Tablo on the Roku. It takes the Samsung Tablo app a long time to download the list of all episodes of all seasons for a given a series (like a minute or two, which gets tiresome), whereas it takes only a few seconds to reach the desired episode via the Roku. I don’t know why the performance is so different when both are connected via the same 5G wifi. I do not have that problem with Samsung’s Netflix or Amazon apps. I hope the Samsung Tablo app might improve in time, but I’d recommend you not base too much of your test drive on the performance of that app today.

OK this is good info. Seems roku is still the preferred streaming endpoint

@Dlleno

Note that when shopping for a ROKU, only a couple of the ROKU Models (including my ROKU 3s and ROKU 4) and I think the new Ultra have an ethernet connector. The rest are WiFi only,

Chas

You know, most of our Roku 3’s are WiFi and just “G”… and all work just fine.

Well done @TabloTV

I got my network built, rokus and antenna installed and just installed tablo dual. Setup instructions are nicely written and the whole process went smooth and easy and fast. Captured a couple dozen channels all green. Bingo

No buffering issues, the tablo is on one end of the house and streaming to the other side is solid via my gb switch, bypassing the routers hub. Tablo is even passing the wife acceptance factor.

Next step is install the wd elements desktop drive, and set up the guide subscription

I’m a happy cord cutter. Bubbye Directv

2 Likes

Update. Well done again @tablotv

I pushed the limits as far as I could, with only three steaming players (two roku ultra, one android Phablet). I hooked up the wd elements 4TB desktop drive (doesn’t leach power from tablo), and it formatted automatically. I set recording quality to max 1080p/60 and set a couple of prime time shows to record. While those two tuners were recording I streamed three different previously recorded shows to the two rokus and the Android.

Tablo didn’t even wink. Streaming is rock solid. Tablo dual manages heat well, too although I’m glad I made the decision to use the desktop style 4TB drive

Kudos tablo teamc

P.S. Wish list would include the option to add 30 - 60 min to the recording, for sports

1 Like

Live events automatically have 50% of the scheduled length added if you have it configured to do so in settings…Extend Live Recordings.