A Stronger Network for Tablo

I just heard about this Wifi/Network extender that is coming out this summer.  My preference for connecting my Tablo is to hardwire it, but for those who don’t have an option it looks like this could help. It’s called eero. Thought this group may be interested. Bad News: It looks like it will only be available in the US for now. Check it out: https://www.eero.com?ct-referral-code=pg5xUjls

1 Like

I saw this, and it looks to do the same thing Apple Airport Extreme and the Apple Airports do :wink:

Cool.  Didn’t realize that. 

1 Like
I saw this, and it looks to do the same thing Apple Airport Extreme and the Apple Airports do ;)

I think there is one key difference though; The eero is a true mesh network, out of the box, no user configuration required.  Apple Airport with Express Access Points is a WDS (Wireless Distribution System), which is a form of Mesh, but doesn’t do auto-discovery and requires manual setup.

So you can get to a similar place with most routers/APs, the eero does take it a step further in ease of use/setup  than anything else out there today that I’m aware of.  

Just use Powerline adapters to connect a router and Tablo not in the same room. Very fast and very stable. More reliable than wireless.

Just use Powerline adapters to connect a router and Tablo not in the same room. Very fast and very stable. More reliable than wireless.

I think that’s what I would do as well if I hadn’t hardwired every room already.

Yup same here - but I have already run certified cable to each room except the bathroom (it’s too small for computers or a TV anyway)
One bedroom has two Ethernet jacks as it had a server in it for a while. I’ve got the house wired, I have the new Netgear 2200D router, I also have a Wi-Fi repeater if needed. The server is wired, the Tablo is wired, my core switch is a Cisco 10/100/1000.
I have Ethernet running out to my shop building where I have a Cisco access point for Wi-Fi out there. 

Wi-Fi is Wi-Fi and no matter what is subject to some gotchas like trouble getting through multiple walls, EFI interference, conflicts with wireless phones, etc. 
We dropped Wi-Fi at work. 
True about the Airport except that I know hardly anything about configuring routers and I got three Airport Extremes configured in a quasi mesh in about 5 min so thats not a huge selling point for the eero with no track record, performance testing and $300 price tag.

So installed the Eero network last night, and now I can’t get to my Tablo box. Looks like Eero is blocking something that Tablo needs to communicate with to the outside world. The page for http://my.tablotv.com loads, but it’s blank. Will need to keep messing with it.

Well false alarm… For some reason I was in private mode in Safari. Exiting out of that I was able to get the main page to load. Good times! :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

What do you think of Eero? Extremely expensive but looks cool.

This is really pricey. You can get a 3rd gen Apple Certified Refurbished for $59 and a 4 gen for $129. I use a 4th gen for my router and the 3gen for an extended wireless network (on the other side of the house) and it has worked great for Tablo for almost 2 years now

Yeah, it has been sitting on my Amazon wish list for a few months now :slight_smile: I am really happy with my Archer C7 and TP Link Wifi Extenders but I just think the concept of Eero is really cool.

1 Like

I’ve done the extended wifi. I’ve also tried powerline to an upstairs outlet, then hooking up an Airport Express to create another access point (Same SSID). Neither of these solutions allowed for the speeds that I can now get throughout the house with Eero. When I had the AirPort Express as a second access point, devices would never seem to switch over correct, or you needed to toggle your wifi on/off on the device to get it to connect to the closer access point.

Very impressed with the Eero routers. Makes it dead simple to create a blanket of wifi around the house. Yes, it’s expensive, but I’m willing to pay for something that actually works in our house. Basically my bottleneck now is my actual cable modem speed.

1 Like