A Speculation based on a Curiosity!

I don’t even know if that title is legit or not…  But, none-the-less here goes.

I just posted on another discussion about Tablo having to be connected to the Internet to be able to “download client data”, as it was put by the OP. I too wondered, so I to posted on that thread.

Now, just finished reading another post about someone having problems connecting his Tablo to his Chromebook over this past weekend.

So, I see a pattern here and although I am “speculating” I think what’s going on with this “curiosity” of connection issues is because of the way Tablo has been set up internally to allow for connections to multiple devices, both on LAN and Internet.  Tablo’s servers are without doubt providing current URL’s info for Internet based device and connections to your Tablo.  This needs to be done as most of use do not have a static IP address where the tablo is connected.  So, what Tablo does is connect to the Tablo Server and they communicate to establish the actual active IP address, (most likely on regular intervals) to the Tablo.  Then as another internet device logs into my.tablo.com, the Tablo server gives the working URL for you tablo connection to the device’s tablo app. All of this would happen based on your my.tablo.com login credentials. I’d suspect no actual content ever goes through the server, just the URL monitoring that would be necessary to keep active connections working.

So, if the server is down for some reason, your Tablo will also be down most likely.  I don’t see a specific reason for the LAN portion to be down, but honestly, I haven’t given this much thought either.  Might be necessary for some type of ancillary housekeeping or something I suppose.

Anyway, I’ll be interested to find how far off I am here.  

There are OPTIONS available, that Tablo chose not to use, such as requiring a static ip.  There is NO-IP and others that provide static IP's.  Some free and others have various costs.  For those that want to watch remotely, they could set it up.  That is how the Plex server works for remote access. 

I have PLEX and I think PLEX is active as well with a remote PLEX login it checks against when you login to your home server, locally or remotely via the Internet.  

But, I think it works locally without the internet functioning.  I am guessing on this one though, so I think I will just have a look-see.

-Rodger

Oops, forgot my PLEX server now resides in my QNap NAS, so can’t simply do a disable on my PC’s network anymore like I could when it I had my PLEX server in this PC.

Don’t want to disable the router connection, so can’t test it, easily anyways.

-Rodger

Yes all the web apps on the smartphones, tablets and now Fire TV and Android TV need an Internet connection. Reason: they are just the my.tablotv.com website you access from the Chrome browser wrapped up in an app.

The Roku app is the only one left that only requires a LAN connection to connect to the Tablo.

This question or issue is not new and was answered long ago when the smartphone web apps were first released.

@theuser86 is it true that the Android TV app is a web app?  It looks and behaves so much differently than the Android phone, tablet, and iPhone apps.