2 Weeks In and VERY Disapointed

I tend to agree with you on that point. Even if the tablet can’t be tested the version of Android i am running should be. The app is the same regardless of tablet vendor unless the vendor sets up their own walled garden for apps like Amazon and such. Since I’m getting the app from the offical Google Play store I would have to conclude that its the offical Tablo app that was published by them for my version of Android.

To be honest I can’t say how the released version works. A update is coming soon, but before it is released the beta testers are getting most of the problems fixed.

If you want to try the beta Android, you can ask @TabloTV. I’ll warn you though…sometimes beta breaks something even though it was tested in house first. But it was found and fixed prior to release.

Hi Spunky03

Based on what you described in your setup, I would like to suggest an approach to consider. I have had my Tablo for over 2 years. I gave up on Chromecast very early on and switched to Roku. I was lucky I’ve never had any issues with Roku and Tablo. It has been very solid.

That said, early this year I got frustrated with remembering where content is: is this show on my Plex server or is it on Tablo? So I started using TabloRipper and just off loading all the content from Tablo on to my Plex server. I play back the content still via the Roku, just using the Plex app. My decision wasn’t based on any negative experiences with the Tablo apps, just a desire to consolidate media.

Now I only use the Tablo for scheduling recordings. All playback is done via my Plex Server using Plex apps (Android & Roku). A key factor to consider in this approach is whether or not you use Tablo for live TV. If you plan to watch Live TV via Tablo this may not work for you.

I noticed you use iDevices. TabloRipper is windows only. Their other tools in the community that might be useful to you.

I hope this might help you,
Bruce.

Bruce,

Thanks you for your reply.

I have been considering doing just that. I am currently running Plex on my FreeNAS server and I was considering just pulling the content from Tablo to my FreeNAS server (which is based on FreeBSD) and then pushing the content via Sickrage into my Plex server. The only thing stopping me is I haven’t found a ripper that runs on Linux and I hate to dedicate a Windows machine to doing this. Still a viable option though which would allow me to continue using what I have. So this is definitely in the running.

To your other question, Tablo is stictly being used for a DVR. I have (or will have once I kick DirecTV out) all the TVs in the house connected to my antenna so live TV for all of them will be via COAX.

It just seems to me that things are just a little half baked with Tablo. I read they are developing an App for AppleTV but still not providing the features that people want, so chasing the new shinny thing. :disappointed:

Before you bash it, go to your local store pick up a Roku 3 4230, Roku 2 4210, Nexus Player or NVIDIA Shield. Try it out and see how it works. Then return said device tmrw so all your testing is free.

Then make a decision based on that.

2 Likes

Would the python script SurLaTablo.py work on your FreeNAS server? SurLaTablo.py - Python program to query and convert Tablo recordings

I’ve been looking at it. I’ve not tried it yet but if I need is python, in theory it should work.

I don’t know if you’ve seen this post in Tablo’s blog. They did do a rundown of the different client options. Near the bottom they do mention the sticks are under powered. That would include the Chromecast.

https://www.tablotv.com/blog/best-streaming-set-top-box-tablo/

2 Likes

I too would recommend buying one of the newer Roku boxes, Nexus Player, NVIDIA Shield, or even a Fire TV Box. The Tablo apps are not half baked as you claim, they are very solid, especially on Android TV in my experience.

1 Like

When I bought my Tablo just over a year ago, I was already invested in the Roku streaming sticks, which I have on all 4 TVs, and in addition, have a Nexus Player on the main living room TV, and a Chromecast on one of the bedroom TVs. Tablo is working solidly on all platforms, so I strongly believe that the 2 major factors affecting performance are the antenna signal strength at the Tablo, and network performance (assuming that software on all platforms is up to date). I’ve found that having a good router is crucial to having a good experience with the Tablo. My original router wasn’t doing it for me, so I upgraded to an Archer TP link C7. It’s not the highest end router you can buy, but it does give you excellent performance for the price, and has the address reservation feature as well, which makes the Tablo happy.

If I were to buy today, likely I’d go with Roku 4 where I could… my main living rook TV uses a Roku stick in the MHL port, which is nicely integrated into the TV’s remote. If that Roku dies, I’d likely replace it with a Roku 4

1 Like

If you have buffering issues with the plex channel you probably have a not so great network.

Start by updating your router firmware and reinstall the tablo plex channel.

You should be able to cast to your chromecast from the plex channel too, check that it’s working reliably on your phone or tablet first and then try to cast in 720p chromecast quality.

Tablo Exporter works great for me. Tablo Exporter - Export Tablo Recordings
I am on an iMAc with OS X. I just export only things I want to keep so I don’t need Tablo recordings to automatically load into my Plex severer.

1 Like

Thanks jayefgee. I was suspecting my WiFi at first as well but again other apps and services over the WiFi work just fine. Its very perplexing to me what exactly is going on. I have checked and I have the latest router firmware for my device.

Where are you setting the 720p casting quality? Is it in Plex or a setting somewhere else?

I think he means the recording quality. You set that within the Tablo app under settings.

Additionally, you can’t really compare the network needs of Tablo to other apps. Tablo seems to require a much stronger network than your average streaming service. I didn’t have to upgrade my router until I got a Tablo and realized how much room there was for improvement. Now that I have upgraded, everything runs better.

1 Like

@Spunky03 There’s lots of traffic here, but we’d be happy to work with you directly on this. If you want to, please feel free to PM me and we can set something up to get things working for you.

1 Like

PM sent, twice. No response.

@Spunky03 So sorry for the wait! I just sent you a note.

Responded. Sorry, i’ve been traveling for work but i’m back now.

Okay, new course of direction.

Using SurLaTablo script to extract content to my Plex media server running on FreeNAS. Works great!

Now Tablo unit does what it does best, act as a DVR for OTA content!

I can’t get anything to go thru chromecast either. Highly annoying! I have it all wired too, so no wifi. Makes me think there’s a problem & it’s not just week networks. Most of the shows are only 720p too.

In the Tablo app, Live tv or recordings randomly stop & occasionally buffer. Never gotten it to play more than 2 mins at once. The Plex channel just says unable to cast. Ended up having to copy the shows off the Tablo so I can watch them since I have a house full of chromecasts.

The messed up part is if I just cast my phone’s whole screen… works great till it runs the battery down. After I turn off hardware overlays to get rid of the green screen of course. :-/