Which platform will have the best Tablo experience

I know the answer to this question can be very subjective, however, I was wondering which app/platform would offer the best overall Tablo experience once the new apps are rolled out for Roku, FireTV and Android. I am trying to decide between Roku, Android TV (Nexus Player) and FireTV for my primary TV and 2nd TV (have a Fire Stick on the 3rd TV). 

The areas for comparison would be:
1. Speed - how fast can I click a show and start watching (assuming network speed etc are the same)
2. Ability to skip commercials - availability of 30 sec FF, thumbnails and anything else that will make it easier to skip ahead
3. How much flexibility does each platform allow for Tablo to make improvements? Is it easier/faster for Tablo to developer on and rollout new features on Android vs Roku?
4. Overall user experience and features (i.e thumbnails, sorting options, recording, live TV view etc etc.)

I would suspect after they update many of the front ends to a similar design much will come down to the hardware.

The Nvidia Shield Android TV box shown this week and shipping in May should be killer. The hardware looks amazing and is even capable of supporting 4k UHD resolution.

It’s a tough question because we haven’t been able to use the new interface on any TV platform.  

The Tablo folks are trying to give the same functionality and experience on every platform.  

When the Tablo folks need to update Android or Roku apps, they have been able to do it quickly (referring to not being prevented by Android or Roku in getting the app approved). 

We will know a lot more once the Roku, FireTv, and AndoridTV apps have been released.   I know I have two Roku 3’s and a FireTv standing by.

@jeremymc7 @snowcat yeah I understand, it’s going to be hard to tell until we get can get our paws on it and start using. I think it will end up being a few small/subtle differences put together that will make one platform better over the other. I did see the Nvidia Shield announcement and it looks great. For me, the nexus player might just do the trick since the little gaming I do is on an xbox 360.

I was hoping the good folks @TabloSupport might be able to share their opinion since they are testing the apps and would have a better understanding of what you can and cannot do on Roku vs Android vs FireTV.

Right now, currently speaking, not having a Roku to try, I would say that CURRENTLY the FireTV is the fastest of all. there’s no real wait on anything. It’s so fast for me it’s really hard to imagine anything being faster. Click FF and it’s ahead by 30 seconds and playing again before you can click a second time. Click something to play and it’s there. but then it’s DIRECT to the Tablo itself, only 1 jump, FTV to router, router to Tablo, nothing else in between and if the Tablo is wired to the network, so much the better. You are going directly with nothing between, and the memory and processing power and network reliability of the FTV is currently the best, If Roku comes up with a 4 soon, it could get interesting. 

Otherwise, I’d say it’s a matter of preference, what you plan on doing with it, what else do you want, need or prefer, how much money do you want to spend, etc.
Although big Amazon customers, I bought the FireTV stick on the thought of using it as my Tablo interface and nothing more. In that respect, it’s not much more expensive than a very good quality HDMI cable, is it? So it’s sort of like buying Tablo, then buying a high-end cable to connect it to the TV (which you can’t do, of course!), but you have the FTV device instead of a cable, it’s that quick and simple.
I will say that the latest firmware upgrade to Tablo has made my Chromecast experience a lot better, too! It’s also quicker and more stable than it ever was, but maybe my Tablo had an issue with the prior release. this one fixed a couple of major things for me and Chrome/Chromecast. That method will always be slower as you are doubling things up across the network, stream to PC, then cast to Chromecast. This method relies on a better, more stable network than other methods might. 
Figure out what you want out of your Tablo, your current future use of the TV in general, what do you want to get out of it, other aspects of your viewing habits, do you plan on using other Internet-based channels, etc. and decide from there. I can see pros and cons to each, but pure speed requires a direct shot from the Tablo to device to TV. The shorter more direct shot, the better off you may be.

From the free week of Sling TV, most people that had problems were using various sticks.  I think that Roku 3 is currently the best Roku device (I also have a Roku LT)l  Based on what I’ve heard, I would not recommend the Roku stick - just not enough processing power there.

@beastman, I don’t own a stick, but have heard other complain about its reliability…  anyone here have the stick and can share any problems they’ve had?

I mean you can get the Roku 3 for $60-65 USD if you keep watch.  IMHO, it’s just not that expensive.  Sometimes cheap means cheap. YMMV

I am currently testing the Roku 3 and Firetv side by side (all but Tablo) and so far I find the Firetv to be much snappier. The Roku 3 us no sloutcheck but I notice the difference. I am waiting for the FTV Tablo app.

I just compared the Roku 3 and FireTV and see the Roku only has a dual processor and 512 MB ram, while the FireTV has a quadcore processor and 2 GB ram.  It sounds like the  FireTV is the better choice with these two.  Need to wait and see what the specs are for the Roku 4.  I bet it will also be quadcore and at least 2 GB ram.

I think this video has some pretty interesting results comparing speeds of FireTV and Roku3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgH9UTseCM8
I just compared the Roku 3 and FireTV and see the Roku only has a dual processor and 512 MB ram, while the FireTV has a quadcore processor and 2 GB ram.  It sounds like the  FireTV is the better choice with these two.  Need to wait and see what the specs are for the Roku 4.  I bet it will also be quadcore and at least 2 GB ram.

The Nvidia Sheild Android TV has 256 cores and 3GB of RAM.

=)

256 cores? Are you sure? Lol

The Tegra X1 really does have 256 (GPU) cores.

(it has 8 CPU cores)

8 CPU cores makes more sense.

The biggest difference between the upcoming Fire/Android TV apps and Roku is that the FireTV/Android will be fully featured out of the gate whereas we’re focusing on Live TV & Playback in the first release of the Roku app. You can read more about that in the blog post: https://www.tablotv.com/blog/sneak-peek-new-roku-channel-amazon-fire-android/

FireTV/Android will also provide access to the settings screen.
The biggest difference between the upcoming Fire/Android TV apps and Roku is that the FireTV/Android will be fully featured out of the gate whereas we're focusing on Live TV & Playback in the first release of the Roku app. You can read more about that in the blog post: https://www.tablotv.com/blog/sneak-peek-new-roku-channel-amazon-fire-android/

FireTV/Android will also provide access to the settings screen.

This actually why I just bought a FireTV.

I’m hoping that FireTV works out.  Amazon has a horrible reputation for fast deprecation of technology leaving adopters in the lurch and forcing them to buy new devices.  We’ll see…

I was initially leaning towards the Nexus Player, but FireTV is starting to look more appealing. Ability to get into settings is a nice touch.

I'm hoping that FireTV works out.  Amazon has a horrible reputation for fast deprecation of technology leaving adopters in the lurch and forcing them to buy new devices.  We'll see....

Oh, sort of like Android devices, then, from Google. Nothing that the others haven’t also done, IMO. Try using a 3 year old phone with modern Android OS. And there’s so many flavors to choose from… Geesh, makes one dizzy. (I still say DOS 3.3 was the last fully reliable and simple OS that just plain worked. LOL)

So far they’ve not left us in the lurch on anything, My wife’s Kindles have been fine, we upgrade or change devices as her convenience, not due to Amazon forcing the issue. 

The side-loaded app on my FTV stick can do anything that the web app can do on my computer, only much faster. So far, no real drawbacks other than no thumbnails, but that’s temporary as they will be in the actual supported release. I just got a bit anxious…

I can change and manage settings just fine, I can record, delete recordings, whatever. If it can be done via the web app, it can be done from the Amazon stick, at least in my testing with the non-official app I shoved onto the stick from my phone.