Thumbnails on recorded shows

Guys - when you see this happen, please make note of which show it is as well as the date/time and send a ticket to support. That way we can investigate. 

@TabloTV the response I received before was you guys were aware of the issue and working on a way to make the process better, was I misled???

@Jestep - Yes, we are working on it but the more info we have the better.

Is there a timeout on how long Tablo waits to create thumbnails if a tuner is unavailable? I haven’t paid a lot of attention to this, but have had a few programs for which thumbnails were not created. With my 4 tuner Tablo, I sometimes record as many as 3 programs simultaneously, and possibly watch live tv on the 4th tuner.

Does Tablo wait a certain length of time for a tuner to become available, and then give up? In the future, I’ll pay closer attention and see if I can spot a pattern.

I also see the occasional recording where thumbnails are not created - ever - for that particular recording. I haven’t done a real analysis, but it is only one show in a bunch (maybe 1 in 20) that this happens with. Doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it happens, just random.

I’ve seen this as well on my 4 tuner. I will keep an eye out and let @TabloTV know when it happens.

Sometimes if there are errors in the data stream of the show (blips in reception) the creation of thumbnails will fail.

Please do keep us posted when/where you see this happen but this is likely the result.

@lkahhan - There is no ‘timeout’.

If a thumbnail fails for any reason (e.g. errors in data stream), is it possible to provide users with an option to run a recording through the thumbnail generating process - provide some control to the users to generate or regenerate tumbnails?

@jdoe - Unfortunately since the issue is invariably a problem with the recording itself, and not the thumbnail process, putting it through the process again isn’t likely to resolve the issue.

Sort of like putting a Lada through a carwash. It’s still a Lada when it comes out the other side.

1 Like

I had to look that one up. Did they sell those cars in Canada, because I don’t recall ever hearing about in the US. It sounds a lot like a Yugo. :red_car:

1 Like

They did for a while in the 90s. Very much Yugo-esque. Plus, we likely got extra exposure due to watching international hockey.

@TabloTV @TabloSupport Posting here as well…

I am using Roku streaming stick with a hard wired Tablo and I am experiencing the same issue. Thumnails are generated and half way and then go dark. The preview square is there, but no image. Also recordings get corrupted sometimes and is a new issue. Problem is now showing up across all recordings.

Have you confirmed this is ONLY an ATV issue? Will the fix apply to only ATV users as I am not one as explained above. Thanks.

This is a different issue when seen on ROKU: Tablo Stalling out when fast forwarding a recorded program

Is this a Roku problem exclusively?

I use Fire TV boxes (2nd gen) & what I have noticed is that if I begin to watch a show before it is finished recording then there are no thumbnails, but I do not believe I have ever had a lack of thumbnails on any show once the recording is complete.

Since the upgrade to Roku 2.3 on a Roku 4200, it seems that I have noticed as I FF through commercials a few blank frames. And I also seem to have noticed that if I switch from 1x to 2x or 3x FF, the switch is kind of jerky. It stays on 1x and all of a sudden zooms a few frames to 2x.

I’m still on Roku OS 7.7. When I see the blank frame again, I’ll try to unzombie my brain to backscan and see there is a blank screen in that area.

That is standard behavior: https://www.tablotv.com/tablo-how-tos/#ffwd

If you do have issues on ROKU, please post in this thread: Tablo Stalling out when fast forwarding a recorded program

Ridiculous.

I’ve been using both a Roku 4200 and 4210 with tablo for over 3 years. Well before thumbnails. This is the first time I’ve notice the frequency of single blank frames during FF…

1 Like

I think @TabloTV was referring to the delay in thumbnail generation, which is standard.

As far as the blank frames during FF/RWD: we’ve investigating this. We’ve found things in the new Roku player that are suspect, so we intend to keep digging, given time.

1 Like