'Tested' Hard Drives

Sorry - the Elements! We’d had good luck across that series.

Sorry to bother you again, but so it doesn’t need to be a Portable? The Elements Desktop has its own power source. Is that ok?

@OTAsurfer - Yes, while we had seen issues previously with powered drives, they seem to have been resolved when we added support for larger drives.

Great!

I am very close to upgrading from 1 TB to 8 TB…
Is there a way to copy the 1 TB data to the 8 TB drive?
I am fairly NEW here… There is probably something about this somewhere that I have not found…
Can someone answer this question for me?

Thank you very much

See this thread: How to migrate to a bigger drive?

Is Western Digital
4.0 out of 5 stars 65 Reviews
WD 8TB My Book Desktop External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - WDBFJK0080HBK-NESN work with Tablo? My Seagate 5 TB is starting to fail :frowning:

1 Like

Thank you very much,
Joe

CONFIRMED GOOD
BRAND: Samsung
PRODUCT NAME:T3 Portable SSD - 500GB - USB 3.1 External SSD (MU-PT500B/AM)
SIZE: 500GB
LINK: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AVF6UQQ/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_3

Samsung T3 Portable SSD - 500GB - USB 3.1 External SSD (MU-PT500B/AM)

1 Like

After a couple of weeks, so far so good.

CONFIRMED GOOD
BRAND NAME - Western Digital
PRODUCT NAME - Elements
MPN - WDBWLG0040HBK-04
SIZE - 4 TB

1 Like

Thanks, ‘been thinking of migrating to SSD… Most of us probably have some very old mechanical drives that still work well but a much larger quantity which are dead.

Only a matter of time before 1.5 yrs old drive will soon be 2.5 yrs old and ???

500GB isn’t much but that’s about the what I average on Tablo recordings at any given time. A little extra cleanup time and SSD will probably work forever?

i’m looking for a new 1TB HDD,
can anyone help me to find the best one?

I had a 2 TB Western Digital Elements that worked fine on both a 2 Tuner Tablo and a 4 Tuner. I have since upgraded to a 4 TB WD Elements and it is working fine on my 4 Tuner.

Tablo recommends the WD Elements line and Seagate Expansion line
https://www.tablotv.com/blog/tablo-usb-hard-drive-specifications-suggestions/

Bump

what happened to a new kernel to fix compatibility issues I am an IT tech for a large company and have never seen a product sold that would only work with a few hard drives ,I think that is a real piss poor product if you can’t plug a hard drive into it of any kind and it not work . I just bought a tablo 2 days ago and have been fighting with it with a dozen brands and types of drives and not a one will work , not one mentioned . I have read every dang article on here and nothing fixes my tablo from seeing any drive at all right out of the box this way ,
I have decided it has to be a bad unit and will be returning it but will see if support can do anything on there end first

it is so sad that this is not fixed because this issue with drives has been for years.
it is time you put some money into research and not worrying about anything else until this issue is FIXED

if the rest of you feel the same please tell them by replying to this post

well decided to return unit ,it has to be defective because I have both seagate and wd drive recommended and neither will work , actually any drive I plug into it will even detect or anything I ordered another tablo and will get it Wednesday I will keep you updated on if it works I would think it will

Al

First thing I did when I decided to buy a Tablo was to look at the list of recommended drives supported by Tablo. Bought a WD Elements 2TB, which was the largest supported drive at the time, and have not had a problem.

I did the same with a seagate 2TB usb portable and it has worked fine for 2.5 yrs.

I’m coming up on 2 years now… eventually, I expect the drive will go, but I expect there’s a lot of useful life left to go.

Started with WD Elements 1.5 TB in May and working fine.

CONFIRMED GOOD
BRAND NAME Seagate
PRODUCT NAME Backup Plus
SIZE 4 TB
LINK: amazon.com link

COMMENTS : STDR4000100 model, USB 3.0 (2.0 compatible) powered drive. Works fine.