Tablo AndroidTV/Fire TV App (4th Gen) Update (v. 1.2)

The roku design is actually somewhat workable and usable even if you don’t like roku’s. My fear has always been that this would happen to the roku app and I would have to dump tablo for plex.

I’ll pull it out sometime between today and Sunday. I thought I remember the Roku having shows ordered by recording date… But, I was wrong on one device today, I can admit if if ever happens again! ;).

I have been asking for a way to sort episodes for years.
With my 4th gen with a Roku ultra puck, it shows latest recording with no way to change it. It is a pain to page all the way to the right.

1 Like

Ahh… so they want to make Android users suffer the way they’ve tortured Roku users for nearly a year… I thought I heard an evil laugh eminating from somewhere.

Hi @269587,

While the default sort is by Recent, you can use the “All Seasons” sort to see episodes in ascending order.

This fails to answer the very obvious question of what logic was used to decide that the default sort order should be by recent. I’m sure people often play epsidoe 10 before 9,8,7,6,…

Thanks for the tip, but as many clicks that you need to make in order to get there… and the end result is that the newest season is still presented first. More clicks!

While this will help, as @zippy has mentioned, this seems like a really odd way to set this up. The Tablo has a recent section. If we wanted a recent recording, we’d start there. It’s like the Tablo software makes huge improvements, but somehow makes it more cumbersome for the user.

I was excited at first, because 1.2 looked like a big step up, but after using it for a while, I’m only frustrated and disappointed. It’s incredibly unstable, and multiple times in a watching session, I get blank blue screens, or it has to reconnect to the Tablo, or it just throws up an error screen, and I have to completely close out the app and relaunch it. For me, the previous version didn’t have these problems at all.

But there are also 2 major functionality changes that I hope can be addressed in the next update:

1. Default sorting order for programs is counter-intuitive and annoying to change. Good to see that everyone is already complaining about this. At least, please put out a quick fix to make the sorting order stick between launches of the app. Right now, the app doesn’t even remember my setting during a single session. Often, for every episode of a series I want to watch, I have to click over to select “All Seasons” to find the next one.
  2. Channels list during live TV is broken. When watching live TV, you can push the down arrow on the remote 3 times to get to your list of available channels. After v1.2, this channel list doesn’t match what I’ve selected and deselected in the Settings. That means some channels are missing from the list, but there’s a bunch of extra junk stations I have to scroll through. But no matter what I choose, I get a blue screen with “A Playback Error Occurred”. I have to go back to the Guide to change channels, so channel surfing is completely out for me. And this is after a channel rescan, updating the Guide, and relaunching the app.

@TabloTV

I just noticed that there is no “Scheduled” recordings tab in this new androidTV/fireTV layout. Am I missing something? How do I find future recordings without using the “Coming Soon” option and going day by day? I don’t find a way to remove shows that do not appear in the next two weeks. Apologies if it’s there somewhere and I’m not seeing it.

Hi 268587,

Could you clarify ‘I don’t find a way to remove shows that do not appear in the next two weeks’?

Hello. I’m not really sure how else to explain it. Prior versions of the Android/Fire TV had a tab that showed “Scheduled” recordings. This tab is nowhere to be found. This means I cannot delete a series unless it’s recording in the next couple of weeks or is already recorded. The new layout no longer appears to have this function that was very easy to locate in the previous ones – I can still do this on Roku because the tab is there.

On FireTV OS:

On Roku devices:

If the Scheduled Recordings section has been moved, it’s in an obscure place I cannot for the life of me find. While the “Coming Soon” is a great add, it doesn’t help with older, unscheduled recordings. Thanks as always!

Hi @269587,

If you select an airing from Coming Soon of the show you want, and select “Series Information”, you will be taken to a new screen that combines everything for that show, including existing recordings, upcoming scheduled recordings, and upcoming airings.

This screen can also be accessed by selecting a show in any of the Library show screens, such as “All Recordings”, “TV Shows”, “Movies”, or “Sports” if a recording already exists for it.

As far as the ability to remove a show that is not scheduled in the next few weeks, are you referring to one that has a schedule rule (such as “Record All”) but is not airing in the next two weeks? If that’s the case, where is it appearing where it needs to be removed?

I think I’m not explaining this right.

It doesn’t matter if/when the recording is coming back. Yes, I’m talking about a show that is not airing in the next two weeks, and in some cases is now off the air. There is no longer the ability to go into ALL SCHEDULED RECORDINGS to remove it.

If the recording isn’t there, I can’t quit recording the series. If the series isn’t airing in 2 weeks, I can’t quit recording the series. Why have they removed this option? This has worked on every device for a year and AppleTV since its first beta release!

Below is the screen I’m talking about…

many many many bugs

1 Like

All you can do is report them and keep beta testing.

Heck I’m trying to figure out if and OTA recording to flash ever gets archived(transcoded) to a smaller size. I’m still waiting for last nights NFL game to get smaller. It’s 50% larger then the same recording on legacy.

1 Like

@269587 Are you by chance on a firmware beta load? That might explain why you see it on Apple TV. But unfortunately there is currently no way to find the show on Library using Android until the next update.

For the time being, you’ll need to use an alternative client if available to delete it. We apologize for that, but will be addressing it soon.

Both my Tablos are on beta fw Glad to know there IS a difference between that and public… Maybe allow us to update to public when it’s released?

Thanks for looking into this and making sure it gets worked on!

I would like to see the “total number of episodes recorded” number return to the recorded series information screen. It was a very handy feature.

Looks like the last thing you searched for on your device stays there until you clear it. 4 days later the last thing I looked up shows in the search field as well as results.

how about the red circles green for 0 errors red for erros