Tablo 4th Gen versus Roku -- success stories?

Even though DFS is clear and open channels… It can be automatically disrupted by “radar system” on the same frequencies.

You router will either change channels or shut down the SSID for a short period of time. I’m sure Roku doesnt want that type of headache on their hands.

If you’re Roku is getting an IP address from the 5ghz, then you’re not using DFS channel. If it wasn’t connecting AT ALL, then it could be on a DFS channel.

5ghz is probably showing “way clogged” due to the Eero’s bridging on the 5ghz channel.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone. I still don’t know all I need to know, but at the moment, I am 98% sure that my issues of Roku versus Tablo 4thGen were due to my home networking. (After 4 years) I turned off the wifi signal from the XFinity internet modem that was not being used directly by anyone. I (somewhat) cleaned up my Eero mesh devices, removing a couple and rebooting most of them. Those actions appear to have cleaned up my 5ghz enough that Tablo Live mode seems to work on Rokus that refused to operate this morning. Fingers crossed, but I think progress was made. Thank you all. Howard

I recently switch for fiber internet service from Frontier. It came with a Eero WiFi router, and I added a single mesh extender to it. I have not changed anything on the network from the default settings. I know that probably doesn’t help much.

Am I reading it correctly that all of you streaming devices are Roku STICK? I am running four different Roku, but none of them them are sticks.

yes, all are stick - of varying vintage. In addition, I have a RokuTV and a couple of smart Samsungs. Only the sticks were giving me problems. Will post again in a week, but I think I can attribute my problems to my bad wifi layout - and a house with thick walls.

It use to be that users could choose which channel with a WiFi band they wanted to use. I think with Eero you live on the same channel as everyone else close by.

@zippy Actually, Eero detects and changes channel based on other networks around it. It tries to find the least used channel and selects that one.

Let’s say I know what I’m doing and what my neighbors are doing and want to assign channels. I can do this with my 12 years old netgear router. It is optional.

Doesn’t it only do this at bootup?

Makes you wonder how eero ever gets 802.11.n devices to work if it randomly switches channels.

No, I’ve seen it change without a reboot. It’s not often or all the time but every once in a while. It certainly could change at bootup without a doubt.

I agree. I wish Eero would let me change then channel to what I want when I want to.

1 Like

JW. Thank you. I know my router is supposed to change as well, but it seems I have to stay on the same channel no matter how busy – sometimes even at reboot! Glad you’re able to share this information for other eero users!

I thought I would follow up a bit on my trials and tribulations. Tablo Community has been VERY helpful. It appears like almost all of my problems have been related to my home wifi network, rather than Tablo/Roku. I think I figured out that older Roku sticks really ought to be replaced, but this is not the critical path I had thought it was.

My main symptom was having the “live” aspect of Tablo crashing as soon as I tried to go down to an individual channel. I am not sure I understand the analysis offered by knowledgable Community members, but it seems to have something to do with buffering. Over-simplification, the Tablo was not able to get a reliable signal over to the Roku, and the Roku Tablo app gave up (not gracefully).

As I adjusted my Eero-based mesh network and got rid of some excess wifi signals, reliability on live tv started improving, such that now it seems pretty solid. I can’t drop DirecTV quite yet, but I am getting close.

I think the Tablo Roku app still needs a bit more work. Specifically, I would like the ability to schedule recordings of a daily recurring show and be able to specify “only keep the latest 5 showings”. My wife can do that with DirecTV, and it doesn’t seem like a difficult programming task.

anyway - enjoying Tablo and enjoying comparing sharp, stable OTA HD broadcasts to my memories of fuzzy ABC/NBC/CBS via rabbit ears.

1 Like

I’m glad things are improving and that you are enjoying Tablo!

You can do exactly that, but for some reason Tablo doesn’t put it all on one menu. AFTER you set up the repeated recording, go to Library>Scheduled and find your show. In there are additional menus that allow you to set ‘keep x number of recordings’ and ‘add and extra x minutes to the end of the recording’ and things like that. I do most of my programming on my android smart phone. The interface is better.

I’m a Roku guy, and watch on four different TVs with different age Roku devices. From what I have read here, one of the better devices for Tablo is the onn device (which is Android based). If you are going to replace your Roku stick, you may want to consider trying one of these. They are inexpensive.

1 Like

me: Are we lost?
Research vessel engineer: Yes, but we’re making good time.