Tablo 4, picture freezes

I’m not sure how well you’ve researched your Firestick 4k 1st gen stick situation. There are several topics started on how this has multiple problems. One user even went as far as to write a very lengthy post on how they tested it and what their results were.

So yes, the 1st gen 4k firestick has issues. It’s about 6 years old. There are likely memory and CPU constraints that don’t allow it to function as smoothly as newer devices. Is it technically supported? I think Tablo shows that it is – but regardless, you can download the app and use it, so I suppose so. Does it run as nicely as other, newer, better-powered devices do? Not a chance.

I know that it’s hard to understand, but the Tablo needs more power than your basic streaming services. You’re receiving a 1080p HD signal WITHOUT compression. Even streaming HD on Netflix/YouTube/etc… it’s compressed. This is one reason the network itself being up to par is so important. Then, there’s the matter of what your receiving hardware can handle.

I asked because you said:
which was a bit confusing. You’ll know if the machine is rebooting by looking at the lights. I’m not sure what the app rebooting looks like, because your description isn’t clear.

1 Like

Most of those users have Roku devices in this thread, bruh.

Doogle mentioned he was using Roku devices. Fox posted he has Roku devices and the “app needs work” I responded to those.

Your fire stick and these Roku issues are different issues. You say I’m barking up the wrong tree… but you’re in the wrong tree. Go play in the Fire Stick Tree.

First off, these are not theories, but I do this for a profession, and I’m excellent at what I do.

These are the core things you would need to look at to have a stable Tablo. I have 7 Roku devices that have 0 issues since the updates. What am I doing right? OR what are they doing wrong? What is the difference here?

I know 1 of the main issues is I tweaked my whole system network/wireless/OTA to make sure it was tip-top. It was tight.

I also have an external hard drive that has its own power supply, versus using a USB powered external drive.

Again, with all the peeps in this thread having Roku issues… what is am I doing right?!

1 Like

I give you all the credit in the world for you setup and how well it works. It seems to be a mystery, though, as to why Roku devices sometimes misbehave. I was running two identical sticks and they behaved entirely differently. But, who knows how much interference other things around my sticks might have caused. There are usually too many variables to say.

But there is a LOT to say about internal network. It’s the scariest part of our setups to look into. It involves unplugging, rebooting, and being offline for more than 2 minutes.

Edit: It should be noted that I no longer have duplicate Rokus and so I have no idea how much of this would still apply. I’ve got firestick 4k maxes (one 1st gen, one 2nd gen) instead, but I do still have one for backup/testing.

1 Like

I am not receiving 1080p signal over the air. At best 1080i or 720p. So that should not impact the Tablo 4th gen. I could see maybe FAST channel issues but this goes beyond that.

Kimchi Bruh, sorry but I miss read and though you were responding to my post and not a post before mine.

I think the Roku people will be happy to know it is not just ROKUs that are having the same problem. It goes beyond Rokus.

It’s been a couple weeks, and I’m still unable to get my Tablo device working correctly. My wife is furious, insisting that I return it and buy a Tivo. I’m certain there is an error with my Tablo and really want to get it going…

Have you tried using your Tablo on a device other than the RokuTV you mentioned?

If so, what kind of results have you had with it?

If not, is there another device you could test it on? Might help you determine if it’s your TV or your Tablo.

Try a AirTv2 or HDHomeRun.

Or if you are forward looking and have access to ATSC 3.0, Zapperbox.