NOW LIVE! – Tablo App for Apple TV

https://community.tablotv.com/t/new-apple-tv-beta-v1-1/

Only authorized beta users can see that link, just fyi.

1 Like

oh, duh. Good catch

Will the new version offer the same features as the iPad?

Is there any info available for the poor schmucks that are not beta users?

1 Like

The last beta was released as 1.1 and is in the app store now.

Right, but when will the TV app offer the same features as the iOS apps?

Unfortunately nobody knows and @tablotv keeps their development roadmap in an underground cave guarded by traps and puzzles.

Ready for it! Will AppleTV be able to view Tablo from remote location with Tablo Connect?

Supposedly the Apple TV app is based off the Roku API so I wouldn’t expect Tablo Connect (aka remote viewing) for a while. It hasn’t come to the Roku is over 2 years.

But Roku uses Brightscript and is harder to program for. I really don’t plan to bring my AppleTV anywhere. I got it for FREE from DTVN prepay 3 months.

I just received and set up an Apple TV I got from DTVN. I loaded up the Tablo app and took it for a test ride. I have 5 other Amazon Fire TV’s that I also use. The experience with the Apple TV is so much faster and it’s even running on wifi vs an ethernet connection on all of the Fire TV’s! I’m wondering why the app for the Fire TV cannot work like this. Is a hardware issue? A software issue? Both? Hopefully there is something you can do.

I did the same, even to the DTVN. SWMBO likes the ATV interface MUCH more than the Roku.

One thing we’ve both noticed is that sometimes the scrubbing function doesn’t work. That is, the mini-thumbnails don’t appear when we try to FF. Other times they do.

Another issue is the app will fail to resume playing when we FF. It will just freeze until we exit the recording to the show’s menu. Then we can re-enter the episode and everything works fine. Doesn’t happen all the time. Weird.

-Dan

1 Like

Apple tv 4 here

I found if you wait until the commercial starts then use the frame scrub.
If i try to start fwding to soon, it does not show thum scrub.
This goes for appletv app and mirroring with ipad.

This happens to me too. I’ll be watching a show, try to skip forward, and the recording freezes. Luckily it is remedied by exiting the show back to the show’s landing page and then starting again.

@TabloTV: Any reason you can think of that playback on my Apple TV is choppy, while iPhone and iPad is smooth? All devices connect to the same wifi network, while the Tablo is wired (using a PLA) to that router. It keeps buffering. The Apple TV runs fine otherwise. I can watch 4K streams from Netflix without a single hiccup, I get 30mbps down from the internet. Any way to test network connectivity between the Apple TV app and the Tablo itself? When placing two computers and running mtr or iPerf, I get less than 1% loss in UDP packets @ 5 mbps (the setting used in my Tablo). Any idea would be great.

You are talking WAN numbers and Tablo runs on LAN and depends on the router coverage and speed in your house. Could use some facts here for others to help. ie atv what is wired and what is wireless and LAN coverage details.

The Apple TV have been tested wireless (using both 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz with 802.11n) and wired (using a power line adapter).

The difference in speed between wired, at 11mbps and wireless, at 30mbps, is substantial in my eyes. This was tested between a desktop wired to the router and the Apple TV. I have not tested the port where the Tablo is plugged in (using power line adapter) to the same desktop.

The Tablo itself was tested on wired, and both bands of wireless as well without any inprovements.

In all scenarios, with a channel that has strong signal, viewing on he iPad never lags, on the Apple TV it buffers.
Streaming of movies from my library on the desktop using the AppleTV is without issues. I could attempts to temporarily relocate the desktop to where the Tablo is if we believe the actual PLA or location of PLA is the issue. But why the discrepancy between the experience of the Apple TV and the iPad?

@lbarouf

I tried so many times to connect with ethernet but to no avail. My 5 gig wifi which tablo is connected to works great.
I did successfully use ethernet from a TP Link range extender with ethernet one time and did notice a small amount of buffering compared to the Wi-Fi. I have the 100 meg cox cable service, no other services except internet.
I have the 4 tuner model with roof antenna DB4 bowtie and cm3414 4 port dist amp.

I have this same issue. Skipping ahead with Siri is fine, but if you use the 10 second skip, it will freeze 75% of the time. Returning to landing page and starting again does fix it, but having to do that 4-5 times per show (due to commercial breaks) is crazy annoying!