Help Shape the Tablo Roadmap

Number 1: With Recast, if you FF or Rewind, it will start to play when you stop pressing the FF/Rewind buttons. With Tablo, you have to press play, after you FF or Rewind, an extra step that is unnecessary in my opinion.

That wouldn’t work if you keep the 3 speeds Table has now (at least Legacy has, don’t know about Gen 4),

One feature I would like to see is that the Tablo 4th gen work well with the features it currently has. Not sure why you would work on new features when the device is not working well now. Adding more features will just introduce more issues to the existing issues that don’t seem to be fixable from what my experience is. It is a FOOLS errand!

3 Likes

#1 and #3 keep coming back to me. Tablo does 10 second intervals and the thumbnails match where those sections of your video are. While 30s might be helpful in a few ways, I would prefer the more precise 10s clicks so that I don’t go too far or have to rewind 25s back to catch the return of a program. It might be helpful to keep in mind that during recordings, the progress of your video will always be at 10s intervals, so you’d never be jumping 30s in the future, only to about that equivalent (example: going from 1:01:22 to 1:02:30).

Out of habit, I don’t use the FF/RW button – not every device/remote has that option. I tap the arrow keys in the direction I’d like to go, and find that the OK button, perfectly centered between those two directions, to be easily accessible. I’m wondering if the Tablo app is treating the FF/RW button as if you were holding down the left/right buttons – either way, there are many apps where you have to press play/OK to stop the progress bar to play from whatever point.

1 Like

@Lenlabnj - just out of pure curiosity… why not just go with another vendor?

At this point, I’m way past my return policy. If I was that mad at Tablo, I would just go find another vendor. I can eat my $99 and go with something else.

In response:

I had hopes that Tablo would fix the issues as they have been coming out with both firmware and software fixes. So far they have failed to fix the FireTV 4k 1 gen issues. Not sure they have any interest in doing so.

I have the Recast to fall back on.

I have an ONN $20 device that is also a fallback and works better. Although the FireTV 4k is a much better device and I prefer to use it.

Finally I paid $89 when on sale so I bought 2 of them and they are still usable even though the device has unfixed issues and is frustrating to deal with.

Tablo should just say they don’t support the FireTV 4k 1st gen and be honest about it instead of leading customers on! If they don’t say that then they should fix the issues.

2 Likes

Gen 4 with Firestick remote has two options. The directional wheel skips forward or back 10 seconds, the FF/Rewind buttons skip 20 seconds.

Recast with Firestick remote FF button skips forward 30 seconds, Rewind buttons skips back 10 seconds. If FF overshoots, one or two clicks of rewind button gets you where you need to be to continue watching. Typically 6 clicks (3 minutes) of FF button will skip a commercial break. Also, no need to press the Play button. Holding FF/Rewind buttons or double/triple clicking provide different ways to FF or Rewind.

30 seconds is perfect when watching a recorded football game. Play ends, clicking the FF button gets me near the start of the next play

On Tablo Gen 4, Three minute skip takes 9 clicks of the FF button and if you overshoot, one click of the Rewind button usually takes you back too far

With Recast, I can also use voice to skip X number of minutes. I rarely use this feature however.

1 Like

I have 4K 8 Gb Firestick. I have had the app quit twice. I deleted some apps and since then the Tablo app has not quit. I suspect the problem might be a memory issue.

1 Like

You can find discussions and comparisons… OTA DVR do not have a 1:1 features, options, UI, storage options and capacity. to compare. They each seem to stand on their own with what they have to offer.

One does this, another does that… OTA is no way a one-size-fits-all. It’s clear there are many things a many users would like to see changed, while others are less concerned. A few users have constant issues rendering their device useless while it appears so many more are enjoying theirs with little to no problems.

When someone asks the goofy questions “what’s the best…” it’s which ever best meets your needs.

4 Likes

I don’t think it is memory as I have deleted a lot of stuff and there is a lot of available memory and there are still issues. There are no issues with any other apps. Amazon prime or Recast.

One other issue I did not mention is the tuner versus the Recast Tuner. If there are reception issues the Recast will pixilate the signal briefly and continue the program. With the Tablo it will freeze and die and kick out to the guide or out completely.

Sorry but it might also mean what is the best that actually works well and does what it is supposed to and what you paid for.

A tuner/DVR should work out of the box and not be plagued with unending issues. A very basic problem like the guide not being correct for your ZIP code is very telling about a product.

1 Like

1 Like

I see this as exactly what @djk44883 meant. Everything is subjective.

It’s rare that a product has zero issues. IDK that I can name one. There are at least hundreds of users that don’t have the issues you’ve had. No company can prepare for every setup and situation.

But I have to agree with djk44883 on this one.

If they say it works with the FireTV stick 4k 1st gen and it is supported then it should work and they should fix the software if it doesn’t. They haven’t. Forced me to by a $20 ONN device.

I own a Recast and it doesn’t t have the magnitude of the issues the Tablo does. So no to zero issues but it worked out of the box.

Zero issues with the tuner of the Recast out of the box while the Tablo tuner freezes, stutters and kicks out.

DVR of the Recast is where there is an issue from time to time with missed recordings. However the Tablo has issues too. I could list them here but I have listed them elsewhere.

Why didnt you just take that $20 and invest it in a new fire stick?

2 Likes

My first gen fire stick 4k max works perfectly with the Tablo app … So does my second Gen 4k max.

2 Likes

Why should I? I own equipment Tablo said they support. Buy the way I told you many times I also own an ONN device that mostly works. With 4 TVs I would need to spend more than $20.

Why are you so pro Tablo? You work for them? You seem to be really supportive of them from all of the responses I see from you regarding the various posts people make with their issues. You are always defending them, deflecting blame for bad software, blaming home networks, peoples equipment etc…

You just need to suck it up and realize that Tablo has an issue and your defending them does not solve it. You lose all credibility with your take on things.

@269587
It’s rare that a product has zero issues. IDK that I can name one. There are at least hundreds of users that don’t have the issues you’ve had. No company can prepare for every setup and situation.

==================================================================================
A lot is about the Benjamins…
For a company, it makes more sense economically to release 20 products at once, deal with the fallout, and fix later, rather than release one solid product, then another, and so on.

I would like to see a Reboot/Restart app button as well. The comments about a multi-user household are apt, but a single user can always walk up to the Tablo device and pull the plug. If it’s in software, then the app could warn that a recording is in progress or there’s another viewer.

3 Likes

If and when the software/firmware works you really shouldn’t need a reboot app/option. I’ve had legacy units that use WiFi that hadn’t been rebooted for almost a year before the WiFi on the router needed to be reset.

Of course people feel better when they reboot their unit. I would like to know how long the unit has been up since the last reboot.