Dolby 5.1

Yes I am 100% sure, I said local playback of files. I was not even trying to use Netflix. I am referring to 5.1 AC3 that is DD, not DD+.

DD+ can still get folded down to 2.0. That should not be a problem. theuser86 is your TV setup to recive DD from HDMI. Do you have that setting on? Also what TV do you have. I can look it up and see if it can do it. I find it very strange that it cannot.

@John_Zanettos

I don’t think you understand that the Roku itself cannot and does not do any processing to DD or DD+ audio. The Roku cannot “down fold” 5.1 DD+ to 2.0. My HDTV does not “down fold” 5.1 DD or 5.1 DD+ to 2.0 over HDMI.

I will provide the model number of my HDTV later.

@theuser86 as per the dolby spec and how it uses metadata it should. My cheapo Hisense 32 inch HDTV does it. That is why I’m really confused. Sorry to be a bother but everything I know tell me other wise.

1 Like

As I recall, according to Tablo, their contact responsible for circuit design on the Tablo told Tablo the Tablo hardware can indeed do surround sound. I read this on a post by Tablo dated before the Tablo was released, or just a bit after. Why it’s not working yet is anyone’s guess, but Tablo said it would. So, I do believe Tablo should do what they said they were going to do.

-Rodger

2 Likes

@marjamar
The post was in May 2014

Three months later, Tablo stated they had different priorities.

2 Likes

Thanks for finding that.

I just hope these better requests are not being held up to be resolved into the next version of Tablo Hardware. I’d not like that.

-Rodger

1 Like

I feel pretty betrayed and screwed over, given that I spent $600 based on Tablo saying they would add the feature by the end of the year. Way to screw your customers guys. Nice job. $300 for the Tablo. Another $150 for the lifetime subscription. $50 for an antenna and a hundred bucks for a hard drive. All spent on the strength of a promise they felt perfectly comfortable in breaking.

Now that I know they have no intention of providing this extremely basic piece of functionality, I am going to stop recommending this product to my friends and forum buddies and start suggesting people go with TiVo.

1 Like

Are you serious! You feel betrayed! Give them a break, they are working day and night to give us what we want and your calling that betrayed.

Right now they are the most dynamic software and hardware company I know. See how long Tivo fixes a bug or adds a feature. Go ahead check them out. Tivo moves like molasses in comparison.

6 Likes

No one should EVER buy a product that does not have a feature that you need. If it does not have the feature you need, then do not purchase it until it does. I certainly would never purchase anything based on what MIGHT happen.

3 Likes

@Scott_Curtis

Well I can try to help ease the betrayal if you like. I am in the market for a second Tablo so please let me know if you’re interested in selling yours.

The TiVo DVR is $400 now with lifetime sub, plus $150 for TiVo Mini for a second TV and $130 for TiVo Stream for remote streaming. It will give you 5.1 audio on all your devices.

1 Like

Wow! Betrayed and screwed over all because no Dolby support. You are indeed a passionate consumer. That kind of language is usually reserved for the behavior of ex-spouses.

1 Like

@Scott_Curtis

Ah, and don’t forget that the fancy smacy Tivo software will give you recommendations on cable channels no OTA. Good luck finding shows you want to record.

I wonder what the price of life time will be on a second Tivo? Hummmmm. That is why I got rid of mine. I’ll sell you my Tivo premiere and a Tivo stream with lifetime if you like.

5.1 will be coming, just a matter of time.

Also, I would like to thank everyone in this conversation you have inspired me to do another Man Cave Cinema Rant on this very issue.

@theuser86

Did any of my information help?

@John_Zanettos

Thanks for asking. It is my mother’s HDTV actually, which she uses the Tablo through Tablo Connect. I tested quickly the other day when I was visiting, no go with 5.1 AC3 over HDMI. Did not get to write down the model but it’s a 32" Insignia HDTV.

There is a quad-tuner OTA Tivo for $300 with lifetime.

Look, I get the value of Tableo. That’s why I bought it. I’m just really ticked that I bought it based on the understanding from the manufacturer that AC3 support would be there within six months of purchase only to find out a year later that they decided it wasn’t a priority. That pisses me off. I have a substantial monetary investment in my main system and not being able to get even basic 5.1 is extremely frustrating to me. This is not an unreasonable position to take. They need to make this right.

The $300 deal is dead my friend. Long gone the way of the dodo bird.

Cheated might be a better word. They pulled a bait and switch. I bought an immature product based on the manufacturer saying they would add a feature I cared about greatly by the end of the year. It is not unreasonable to expect them to keep their word.

1 Like

Okay. That might be a bit over-wrought, but I definitely feel like I was the victim of bait and switch. “Buy our immature product, because we will add the feature you want by the end of the year,” then later, “Meh, we decided not to because our early adopters don’t really matter to us. Screw the A/V enthusiasts who pre-ordered and backed our product. We have better things to do.”

I want 5.1 AC3 as much as the next person so when I purchase my next AVR, my current one is just Stereo, it will work fine. But to say you were cheated is unreasonable. To be cheated would be Tablo proclaiming they had 5.1 audio output then when you purchased you got only Stereo audio.

Yes they do have better things to do. I think the new Roku UI and added Fire TV support trump the 5.1 audio feature. While that’s my opinion, the majority of Tablo users would likely agree on that.

1 Like