Antennaman reviews Gen4 Tablo

Good question and here is the answer:

a. Bought the first one on a big sale ($79).
b It appeared Tablo was making regular fixes to resolve the issues and was doing a good job of supporting the product. So I felt things would get better.
c. Bought the second unit based upon the fact that it was on a big sale ($79) and the previous comments in item b. above.

So I spent about $160 total. Would I do it again? I don’t know. I think I would probably go with the Silicon Dust 4K flex which gets much better reviews on Amazon: Tablo 3.3 rating versus SD 4k Flex 4.2 rating.

1 Like

We’ve had our Gen4 since Sept 2023. Being an OG Tablo owner since May of 2015 I certainly was familiar with the product and wasn’t worried about the challenges of a new model. Bought it simply to have some fun in retirement. My wife is the main user of it now and records many shows every week day and a few on the weekends that we watch together, most of the time. We delete everything once watched so there has been no need for additional storage. Yes there have been issues but mostly just annoyances that we could get past. Currently it gives us very little trouble.

2 Likes

How many "annoyances: have been fixed since september. Have any new “annoyances” been introduced?

What “annoyances” are still outstanding.

We only watch recordings with Tablo, never watch live TV so all “annoyances” have been with recordings. Maybe about 4 or 5 over the months but all seem to be fixed now.

Currently nothing new to report.

Outstanding? I’m really hoping they add recording episode info like descriptions and date first aired like the OG apps have. When you have multiple recordings for the same series it’s “annoying” to have to go to the internet to figure out what they are about when all you get is the episode number and a title.

2 Likes

I was hoping for a more in-depth review, but when I saw that the length was about 11 minutes, it was predictable that most of the video would be just a summary of features, and a couple minutes for maybe some comments. Like other reviews of Tablo, of similar length, that are already available on YT. That’s how it turned out. I already know what the features are, so I did not find AM’s review that interesting, less informative than his vids usually are. Personally I got more out of Lon’s review a while back and I bought Tablo on the basis of Lon’s review.

AM responds to several commenters that the main challenges with making Tablo work properly are antenna, wifi, and your STB. That’s the subject matter I was hoping he’d go into in some depth in his review, but he didn’t. As well as head-on comparison to the competition. I’d like another video or two on those topics.

1 Like