4th Gen Tablo Problems from the Get Go

Just as the origin as l Tablo.

With all problems there obviously needs to be some changes somewhere in the process.

I keep waiting for the FAST channels to stop chopping recordings and making multple segments. I also like when you use a roku to schedule a sports recording (NCAA Football) from Fubo it indicates that it accepted the request. But nothing shows up in the schedule and nothing gets recorded. Obviously someone didn’t beta test this.

Which app? And it absolutely was beta tested.

Roku. And in my DMA there are only 2 OTA channels that broadcast at 1080. And in the the settings channel lineup it says they are 1080P. I don’t think so. Especially since each of them have a large number of sub-channels at 480. And the channel line up says they are 480p. The channel lineup says every OTA channel is progressive.

Is beta inhouse or outsourced like support?

It is a bunch of us users. You can ask Tablo Support to be on the beta team.

I will after I receive it and connect it

I got my Gen 4 set up and recording 2 shows each day. Monday and Tuesday recorded and played back without problems. Today, the playback of my recordings looks like it’s buffering, but it plays a few seconds, then pause until I press Play again. Then, same thing again. I give up!
I have Sony Bravia 55" smart TV and a San Disk 1 TB SSD hooked up to the Tablo. Is it time for me to press the Reset button? Any thoughts?

For starters, there’s a lot of unknowns here.

• How is your Tablo is connected (wifi/ethernet), and if wifi are you on a 2.4ghz or 5ghz network?
  • What type of device/OS are you viewing this on (android/google/roku/firetv)?
  • Is this an over-the-air station you’ve recorded or a FAST channel?
  • What steps have you taken to resolve your issue? (Did you reboot your network or TV/stick or Tablo? Have your force-quit/uninstalled the app? etc)
  • Is this happening on more than one station?
  • What is the signal strength for this station?

Some of the easiest things to test would be those above, as well as trying to record multiple shows on different channels to try and figure out what’s going on. Usually, buffering means that your recording device is slow or that there’s a connection issue with your network (yes, even if 15 other devices have zero issue.)

Well, my point was that it failed to play the same shows that had been recorded and played successfully before the Wednesday recordings. Yes, it could have been caused by any of the settings you asked about.
But, the good news is that after failing to successfully view yesterday’s episodes, I exited the Tablo app, and lo and behold! Today, both day’s recordings played flawlessly.

Glad to hear it.

Just keep testing – wouldn’t hurt to try a couple recordings on each station you will be relying on to see how well the signal is received by your Tablo. After all, it really only takes a little longer than the recording time to test them!

Keep us updated, and if things happen again in the future, remember some to include as much information as you can when making a post. Good luck and enjoy your DVR!

I appreciate your post, but how many consumers want to have to go through this? Devices should just work. My wife thinks I’m an idiot for buying a 4th gen Tablo after her Oscar show started stuttering, then refused to fast forward, and finally stopped playing at all. I’m a techie and I still can’t get it to work right.

Do what I did and get a $20 ONN box as a backup from Walmart and you can use the Tablo 4th gen with mostly NO hiccups. I have 2 Tablos and my FireTV stick has hiccups every time I open Tablo and try to do something. None of the fixes has so far done a thing.

I keep trying to use the FireTV sticks but when I get really ticked I use the ONN device.

1 Like

Your Oscars issue sounds like an antenna reception issue.

well a few weeks ago placed a fan on my upside down gen4 quad unit so far working just fine this has been the longest it has worked since i got it ,I am thinking about removing it from the case and mounting it on the wall with a fan…before it would only last a few days and the app stopped working and i had to do a factory reset and start over I hope it last.been nice to watch my shows…any have a link to remove the case on the gen 4 ?? i wounder if they missed the thermal paste on the cpu …Thanks

4/23/24 UPDATE just got off phone with Tablo support until to software for the tablo units gets updated i can only a few shows ,the problem with the quad is the software between the tablo and the roku TV’s .so i got a quad to record a few shows until the software is fixed . good luck to all

More proof that 4th gen is not the evolution of Tablo, but merely a full replacement… sigh…

1 Like

These chipsets are not meant to ice cold like server rooms or gaming PCs.

These chipsets are built to run hot. mine is stuffed in my network rack with servers and my office is warm year round.

1 Like

This, for some reason, continues to make me nervous.

I would be too worried that an upside down Tablo would let in a ton of dust, and blowing a fan on it?

No word from TabloTV about it in the several posts, so maybe THEY’RE not worried… and maybe I’m just to paranoid about my electronics!

I have a legacy and I put tall feet on the bottom to allow more airflow under.

5 Likes

Now THAT makes sense! That’s an awesome idea. Glad you shared that since none of us thought of that for the puck!

1 Like